Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 10-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Two brothers atom smasher.

It's an October beer, and wow, that's good. 7.7abv 22 ibu, Amber.

It's a rich blend, a bit sweet, and very complies flavors. I can taste the oak, and there is a subtle spiciness, tasted a bit like cinnamon and maybe ginger. Mild hoppiness, big, mouth filling beer without being too overwhelming for the average microbrew drinker.

Between 8 and 9.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Brian that is brewed about 10 miles from me (and just south of Batavia, where Fermi Lab is hence the name)

I find their beers aged in oak cloying, and it is maybe my least favorite fest beer. But I am in the minority on that.

Really liked the lager oktoberfest that half acre brewing did this year.

glad you liked the two brothers, they do some sensational stuff, surprised it made it as far away as MO

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
Brian that is brewed about 10 miles from me (and just south of Batavia, where Fermi Lab is hence the name)

I find their beers aged in oak cloying, and it is maybe my least favorite fest beer. But I am in the minority on that.

Really liked the lager oktoberfest that half acre brewing did this year.

glad you liked the two brothers, they do some sensational stuff, surprised it made it as far away as MO
I can understand, the sweetness was just on the edge of my tolerance.

What happened to our October beers? Sure, we have Sam Adams, and a ton of pumpkin, but the real liquor store that we have hasn't got a decent selection of true October beers. The German imports normally have one, but not here.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I had the Ayinger... quite good. Binny's here had quite a few fest beers, as well as pumpkins

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 10-10-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Just not a lot of Oktoberfest beers this year. I've been buying Sam Adams, but that is because it is readily found.. haven't seen many at all this point.

I love fish battered in batter made with dark beer. Generally these days, an Oktoberfest is best. I know that there is a thread about how early they were this year, but none on why we haven't been flooded in the annual outpouring of fall brews.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Binny's had a massive island of fest beers in the stores, so massive I couldn't figure out where the ones I wanted were.

I have not bought as many this year.

I did find a fantastic amber ale from Japan at the grocery that contain the food court that has the best ramen in the area.

Now I am hungry again.