Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
sucol
Club Member

PAM 46th - The Perfect Cigar?

A 5.5 x 56 vitola, sold in boxes of 10. It is adorned with the Family Reserve band with the trademark hammer, and a second band below it indicating "46 years." The bands are maroon and gold.

Okay, at the outset I have to admit the Padron 1926 Anniversary Series Maduros are my favorite cigars. If I was forced to pick one cigar I would have to smoke for the rest of my life, I would pick this family of cigars (including the 80th, 44th, 45th, 46th) without a second of hesitation. (I know the blends are different, but I see these anniversary series as an outgrowth of the 1926 line). I had been greatly impressed with the 80th perfecto and the 45th toro, and was thinking the 46th would not be as much to my liking due to its shape. I was wrong.

As noted above, this cigar carries the family Reserve double banding. It's wrapper is dark, lustrous and flawless. The box press is the firm, carefully constructed shape I have come to expect from Padron. The aroma as the box is opened is pungent yet light, with a noticeable sweetness.

The cigar lighted easily and evenly. It creates clouds of light gray smoke with a very pleasing aroma. The first few tastes were not to be believed. I am sure at one time or another we have all had that experience when we light a truly great cigar and just can not believe it tastes as good as it does. It triggers a certain nervousness, as in "when will this go wrong/" No need to worry with this cigar.

The first third or so smoked as though I had just lighted it. there was no additional heat or harshness. It smoked great from the first puff, and reminded me of a great meritage or Bordeux, it had that much subtlety and depth. The funny thing is there was absolutely no variation through the second third. It continued to smoke as if it had just been lighted - no additional heat, no hint of acrid over taste - just a remarkable smoking experience. It should be noted that the finish on the plate is extraordinary - as good as any cigar I have ever smoked.

Only in the final third I finally began to notice some variation. This is just a fact of life - as a cigar grows shorter and the heat comes closer to the mouth, the taste profile will change. Again, though, this variation was minimal, and only led to a mild change in the finish. I was unwilling to give this up, removed one band and then the other, and smoked it down to my ink-stained fingers. I couldn't help myself ... i walked around the house, threw a couple more logs on the fire, cracked an Abbey Ale from Ommegang ... and lighted another. It was every bit as extraordinary! Thank you Padron Family for your commitment to excellence.

Numerical evaluation:

Appearance: 10/10
Construction: 10/10
Flavor: 19/20
Finish: 9/10
Smoking experience: 20/20
Aroma: 20/10
Overall impression: 20/20

Resultant Final Score: 98/100

I would give it 100, but I'm not sure such a cigar exists ... I had to think long and hard where to find the two point deduction, though!

Last edited by sucol; 12-12-2010 at 05:48 AM. Reason: typos
sucol is offline   Reply With Quote