Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 03-24-2002, 02:46 PM   #1
Natgolfer
Club Member

Location: #14, 559 yard par 5, lying 1, right side of fairway, 242 yards out, taking a leak behind an oak tree
I'm talking about sites where you can tune into various radio stations or site that provide multiple channels of different types of music. I'd like a little background music while I surf or work. Any suggestions?

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left"
Old 03-24-2002, 05:20 PM   #2
Churchill98
Club Member

http://www.live365.com/home/index.live

about:blankhttp://genres.mp3.com/music/latin/cuban/
Old 03-25-2002, 04:35 PM   #3
Poohdvm
Club Member

Yahoo has their radio station area broken down into genre. Sorry I am too stupid to post a link. Go to yahoo and click on the radio link in their entertainment section. Radio margaritaville is a good station to listen to at lunch. Buffet music and much more. Good background music for work that probably won't insult anyone w/o playing Celene Dion or Barly Man-enough. You will find it at www.margaritaville.com
Old 03-26-2002, 02:19 AM   #4
Natgolfer
Club Member

Location: #14, 559 yard par 5, lying 1, right side of fairway, 242 yards out, taking a leak behind an oak tree
Thanks for the tips

Old 03-26-2002, 04:52 PM   #5
NiceAsh
Owner Emeritus

This is what I use at work

http://www.musicmatch.com/

The RadioMX, it is $3.33 per month, good quality and pretty much every type of music you would want

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you."
Old 03-26-2002, 08:02 PM   #6
Natgolfer
Club Member

I found a good one:

http://www.cyberradio2000.com/rockhome.htm#"

Lots of choices there.

Old 03-26-2002, 08:35 PM   #7
NiceAsh
Owner Emeritus

cool, I am trying it out in my vegas office, so far so good

thanks

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you."
Old 03-26-2002, 09:56 PM   #8
markk

For bluegrass and acoustic music: www.wdvx.com
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 08:01 PM   #9
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

For a mixture of Cajun and Zydeco music, check out www.KBON.com
Heeeyeeeee!

SSJ...I'm good at what I do. What is it that I do again?!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 08:48 PM   #10
westsideelectric
Club Member

Here's a little gossip through the grapevine for internet radio fans.
ADIOS, INTERNET RADIO

-- By Chris Gonsalves --

I'm a fan of Stardog, personally. Maybe you like CelticGrove or BlueCityJazz. Doesn't matter. In a few weeks, listening to music on Internet radio will be dead as a mackerel.
Shame really. The Internet radio business has been growing at something like 100 percent annually and is thriving in genres underrepresented on FM stations, such as classical,blues, jazz and gospel. Doesn't matter. The government,acting once again in the special interest of the music industry, is about to crush the idea.
In the latest example of groundless regulation and greed interfering with free commerce, the U.S. Copyright Office is
considering a proposal that would force Internet radio stations to pay exorbitant royalties to record companies and performers, something their over-the-air counterparts are not required to do.
Where AM and FM radio stations pay a small fee to music composers, Internet radio stations are facing fees of up to
14 cents per listener per song. That fee would bankrupt nearly all of the Web broadcasters operating today,according to the group saveinternetradio.org. Copyright officials have until May 21 to make the call, but considering that the recommended shakedown came from the advisory group they created--the Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel (CARP for short)--it's clear the rubber stamp is warmed up and waiting.
How did we get to this point? Even if you thought Napster and others of their ilk were the bad guys, how did Internet radio become to the target of the Harry Fox crowd? It began in October 1998, when Congress passed the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act" (DMCA), which gave record companies the green light to collect royalties when music
was played via "digital media" such as Internet radio. It's an interesting departure from a music industry
standpoint. Record companies and performers don't get royalties from AM and FM radio play because the copyright folks consider the promotional value of the airplay payment
enough. So why the switch for the Internet? The theory bought by Congress is that Internet listeners can make "perfect copies" of the songs being streamed, and those
copies could hurt CD sales. That would be a good argument,except that, as anyone who listens to Internet Radio knows,you can't make "perfect copies." You can't easily make
copies at all. And if you can, they are of too low a sound quality to be useful in creating your own CDs. What you get sounds pretty much like those cassette tapes you used to make off the FM radio. Not great.
Never ones to let facts stand in their way, the solons assigned to the CARP published their recommended royalty schedule in late February. As the basis for the outrageous
fee schedule, the CARP report cites a $5 billion deal between Yahoo! and Broadcast.com. The result was a figure that would leave most Internet broadcasters, who have attracted precious little advertising, liable for between 200 and 300 percent of their gross revenues. And, oh, by the way, the fees are retroactive to October 1998. According to Internet radio industry figures, a midsize independent Webcaster with an average audience of 1,000 would owe
$525,600.
See you later Stardog. It was nice knowing you.