Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
bolivar

777 Maduro (Updated)

Below you'll find my review of the first 777 Maduro I smoked.

I smoked two more samples of the 777 Maduro. I have a short tolerance for cigars that don't smoke well, even after only one smoke. But the initial flavors of the 777 Maduro were so favorable that I needed to chance it.

Unfortunately, things only went downhill from the initial sample. The flavors that were present in the first sample were extremely muted in the next two. Worse yet the burn characteristics of the following two samples were downright pitiful. Half way through the cigar the smokes simply went out.

Maybe humidor time will help.

In the end I hope you have a better experience than I did.

Good smoking.

The wrapper leaf had an intermixed Maduro/Oscuro color to it. It was oily and had a medium texture. The cap was smooth and the roll was firm.

It was alittle harder to toast the foot than I like to see and required correcting on one side of the wrapper. The burn was slightly uneven even with correction. I only ashed once revealing a cone coal. The ash color was what I call salt & pepper.

This sample had a tight draw which actually required that I draw 3 times before the coal fired up enough to produce enough smoke. Because of this I would say that the sample had a tendency to want to go out. Due to this I didn't finish the entire cigar. I believe the draw issue made the smoke become bitter.

As far as flavor I was incredibly disappointed. Not because the sample became bitter from having a tight draw. But because I really thought I had a winner on my hands for the first 3/4" of the cigar.

Before the bitterness come on I enjoyed the flavor of this cigar like few I've had since the days when Padron were good. The amount of dark chocolate and spice that came through was breath taking.

I'm going to chalk this up to being a bad stick. I'm even willing to say I didn't store it correctly. But considering the flavors that I experienced (although briefly) this cigar could become my daily smoke.

Last edited by bolivar; 07-06-2011 at 08:38 PM.
bolivar is offline   Reply With Quote