Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

La Palina Goldie

A few years back I purchased two La Palina Goldies at the La Palina factory. It was superb. I am aging the other one. The Goldie was a special smoke if you know who rolled it. My question is how do other La Palinas compare to the Goldie? I see they have new maduros and more, when I bought the Goldies they were almost all that they had for sale at the time.

Last edited by Ringo; 09-24-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

I like the El Diario KB and KBII, the Black is also good. Never really cared for the Goldies, a very expensive average cigar IMHO
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Ringo
Club Member

Really? I liked mine.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

I didn't dislike it but I didn't think it lived up to the hype either. I've had several from the original and subsequent releases.
JLOH #19
Old 09-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Ringo
Club Member

I did get mine right when they started making them. Maybe the earliest ones were better? I am pretty sure that I liked it although it was several years ago. I got it right from the roller herself. Well there is one way to find out, I still have one. Maybe tomorrow if the crap weather changes.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
I did get mine right when they started making them. Maybe the earliest ones were better? I am pretty sure that I liked it although it was several years ago. I got it right from the roller herself. Well there is one way to find out, I still have one. Maybe tomorrow if the crap weather changes.
Someone not liking a cigar you like doesn't make you wrong. It makes you, you. There are a zillion different cigars for a reason.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

The La Paulina Mr Sam is a good cigar, so are their TAA releases, as are the illumination line. The black is quite solid. I like the line but that is me.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:32 AM   #8
Ringo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
Someone not liking a cigar you like doesn't make you wrong. It makes you, you. There are a zillion different cigars for a reason.
Sound advice. I sound like I was waffling there! But really I only had the one and that was when they came out several years ago. I just remember liking it. I will smoke the other one soon and review it.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

I think I'm in the minority on this one, the Goldies were very well reviewed and sought after.
JLOH #19
Old 09-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
otto_sear

I've never seen a Goldie in a shop to try, and I have never been inclined to buy a box in light of the price (which is extremely high). But I have had the maduros, the classic robusto, and some of the other lines including but not limited to KB and KB II.

Everything I have tried has been excellent. I particularly enjoy the larger maduro sizes (I think it's a Churchill) and the classic robusto. I bought a box of the robustos as they could be found cheap. The maduros I smoke much less often, so I just buy singles at my local B&M. The KB line is great with some age (actually snagged a bunch of aged KB cigars sitting in the close-out box, that was a great day).

Last edited by otto_sear; 09-25-2017 at 09:37 AM.
otto_sear is offline   Reply With Quote