Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 09-04-2017, 04:29 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Knob Creek Bourbon is in the spotlight...

...on the CW Home Page. You can access my take on the 'standard' and Single Barrel versions of this well-liked whiskey HERE.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
solomr2
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
...on the CW Home Page. You can access my take on the 'standard' and Single Barrel versions of this well-liked whiskey HERE.

Nice review. I picked up some regular Knob Creek at my local Costco a couple of months ago, but still haven't cracked it open as yet. I'm still finishing off some Basil Hayden, and some Auchentoshan single malt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomr2 View Post
I picked up some regular Knob Creek at my local Costco a couple of months ago, but still haven't cracked it open as yet.
Apart from being a solid Bourbon, Knob Creek is also a good value.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:24 AM   #4
macsauce13
Club Member

Not one of my favorites, but definitely one of the most well-traveled bourbons out there. Anywhere I go, I can usually expect to at least be able to find Knob Creek as an option.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
Not one of my favorites...
I'm curious as to why Knob Creek doesn't quite make your 'favorites' list (and also would like to know which Bourbons are at the top of your picks list).
Old 09-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
macsauce13
Club Member

I don't have an expert's pallet, for sure, but I just don't think it has much in the way of unique characteristics. It is a good, solid bourbon for sure.

I don't purchase much high end bourbon, so keep that in mind, but my personal favorite bourbon is Four Roses Small Batch. It is one of the best I have ever tasted, consistently. It has a slight sweetness I think works excellently neat, or paired at a tailgate with Ale8 (Kentucky soda similar to ginger ale). Allow me a caveat, I don't think much at all of their single barrel offering. It is incredibly inconsistent even acknowledging that all single barrel is somewhat inconsistent due to the obvious.

After FR, my next favorite is Bulleitt, both the orange label as well as the green labeled Rye, though I freely admit it was the first bourbon I got into so I may be biased by my own sentimentality.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I have always used Knob Creek as a comparison point for bourbons... heat, nose, flavors. It was my go to bourbon for a long long long time (I would lean towards Angel's Envy, Buffalo Trace and Old Forester in that category now)

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I like it. I tend towards the sweeter Bourbons with heavier vanilla and caramel flavors. Until last year, I hadn't had anything from Buffalo Trace that I didn't like and probably drank the better part of a tanker of it. I like Woodford when I can afford it and have a real supply of the old mashbill available. If I'm going to have a bourbon, Beam will do. I can't seem to consume it in moderation, so I largely avoid. I do like to try new whiskies I haven't seen before. Mostly on special. I like rye whiskey quite a bit as well.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
I don't purchase much high end bourbon, so keep that in mind, but my personal favorite bourbon is Four Roses Small Batch. It is one of the best I have ever tasted, consistently.
I've often thought I need to get my hands on that one if and when it appears locally. Some 'Pappy' would be even better, if it ever showed up. (I found the 15 Year Old to be simply fabulous, but that one's 'history' now.)

As for Bulleit, I recently ran my way through a bottle of the 10 Year Old, and found it to be pretty decent if not mind-blowing. Ditto for Angel's Envy, Buffalo Trace (the regular bottling) and Woodford Reserve (even the Double Oak, which is an OK session pour, but little more).

At the moment, my 'go-to-bruisers' are Booker's and Stagg Jr. In a more modest (alcohol-wise, that is) vein, 1792, Hancock's President's Reserve, Old Weller Antique 107, Rock Hill Farms, Wild Turkey 101 and Willett Pot Still Reserve are very fine as well.