Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Big Smoke
Club Member

Converting an Old Cabinet into a Humidor

Where can I get parts? Like cedar shelves, fixtures, etc.? I have an old cabinet that I used to use as a gun cabinet when I was younger. Haven't used it in years. In another thread, Stickman gave me the idea of converting it into a humidor. It would be perfect for that purpose. I just need to seal it, add spanish cedar, put in shelves, etc.

Here's the cabinet. possible humidor
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." ~ Ronaldus Magnus
Big Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
telest

Can't help you with the info you asked for, though it should be easy to find. That will make one Hell of a humi if you can get it done. Please post the end result. Good luck!

Steve
telest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Oy. Does it seal tightly? That'd be the first concern. Not sure where you live, but next step would be to find a cabinetmaker if you want to outsource the work, or a lunber store that has spanish cedar if you don't. I'd try to go take a look at a nice cabinet humidor and try to get ideas from that.

Lot of work, but it could be a beauty when you're done.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Big Smoke
Club Member

It seems pretty solid overall. The wood is tight, and the door sticks, so it tight, but not sure if it's air tight. Thought I'd go over all the seems with some aquarium sealant, and make the door air tight, or close, and then maybe line it with spanish cedar and add 3 or 4 shelves. Maybe refinish the exterior. It might work. I am hoping to find somebody who has done this before, or knew about it and what the pitfalls may be.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." ~ Ronaldus Magnus
Old 01-07-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Just a word of warning - furniture not intended to be a humi may not work well as a humi. Even if you can get everything to seal, you may have a problem with the wood warping. You are going to be maintaining a relatively high RH inside with a lower RH outside. This can easily cause the wood to warp and not only ruin the cabinet for use as a humidor, but may ruin the cabinet period.

I know this subject has been discussed on CW before. Do a search and read what the experts have said of this subject.

Good luck.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #6
Big Smoke
Club Member

That's why I thought lining it with spanish cedar would take care of moisture getting through to outside wood. Just like a professional humidor, it has a wood exterior and a cedar lining. Though I believe the exterior is just knotty pine, if the cost isn't too exhorbitant, I'm not worried about the cabinet. I haven't used it for years, and it's been in the way for some time now. Only now, I have a possible use for it... maybe.
If it is going to get too expensive, I'll scrap the idea, or just throw some shelve in it, and cross my fingers. I'd rather buy a nicer one, but right now, my wallet says no, but my other humidors are crying from the strain. I could go coolerador, but the problem of space comes up again.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
DAFU
Club Member

That's a mighty nice looking cabinet Brian! I don't see any reason you couldn't utilize it as a humi/cabinet. Rockler Woodworking HERE sells Spanish cedar veneer which is very reasonable. WIth some cigar boxes and maybe a solid cedar base you should be in pretty good shape.
For humdification you could go with a couple of Cigar Oasis HERE located at the top and bottom of the cabinet along with a couple pounds of beads. I use one in my coolerdor which I don't keep airtight and it works great.
Please keep us updated on your project! I would love to replace my coolerdor with a furniture piece humi!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
Big Smoke
Club Member

Thanks for the link to Rockler. The veneer is pretty reasonable. So the key now is to make sure I can seal it before I spend the $$. Any ideas how to check for seal?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:19 AM   #9
YelloCello

If I were in your shoes I would line it with panels/veneer of spanish cedar, backed with tyvek or some other vapor barrier. I would not affix them "permanently" to the inside of the cabinet but fit them in so that they can float a bit to accomodate expansion and contraction. As others have stated the risk is to the pine of the cabinet, which will not react well to have a humidity of say 35% on one side and 65% on the other side. Unless you put a vapor barrier between the spanish and the pine you will have that problem.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 AM   #10
Headbanger

PM sent for a local vendor that you can pick up from. Best of luck brother.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote