Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

Southern Draw Jacob's Ladder Review...really!

The nuts & bolts:

Blend Profile

Wrapper: Pennsylvania Broadleaf, Lancaster, USA
Binder: Ecuadrian Maduro
Filler:
-Viso: Nicaraguan (confidential);
-Seco: Nicaraguan (confidential);
-Ligero: Nicaraguan Estelí, Jalapa
Country of Origin: Nicaragua (Tabacalera Fernandez)

Vitolas Available

At this time, the following three sizes being made available for Southern Draw Cigars’ Jacobs Ladder – each in 20-count boxes. In addition, the 2-count pecata case will be available for the Toro.

Robusto: 5 1/2 x 54 (SRP $9.50)
Toro: 6 x 52 (SRP $9.99)
Gordo: 6 x 60 (SRP $10.99).

I think many of us as cigar enthusiasts, enjoy the hunt for that ever elusive "Cigar Nirvana". Always trying something new in hopes that upon lighting up we think "Now THIS is what I've been looking for!!!" I'm not sure if the Jacob'a ladder from Southern Draw is truly Cigar Nirvana......but for me, it comes awful dang close!

A couple of months ago I had the pleasure and good fortune of being able to try a sample of this new line of cigars from Southern Draw. I was warned that I should probably have something to eat beforehand as this would be a rather full bodied/full strength experience. I decided I would take my chances and light my Toro vitola up first thing on a Sunday morning with some black coffee. I wanted my palate to be fresh so I could get a true picture and taste of this cigar.

I chose a straight cut, and found the cap snipped off cleanly without any tears or stragglers left behind. Before putting a torch to the foot I inspected the wrapper and found it to be rather oily and very smooth with just a little tooth. Taking a deep inhalation of the foot I enjoyed a rich sweet tobacco flavor, one that had that good sense of mustiness in the background.

Lighting up, I was enjoying a head rush of intense, rich flavors and spices. There was definitely a mixture of rich sweetness much like caramel and dark cocoa, along with a heavy dose of black pepper. The nose tingle at the start of this smoke was incredible.

As I sat there and enjoyed this cigar, and I do mean "ENJOYED this cigar" I kept jotting down notes along the way. The intense flavors and strength backed off just a bit as I passed the first third......or perhaps "evolved" would be a better way of putting it. While the nose tingle remained fairly steady, the dark cocoa turned into more of a German Chocolate cake thing with this rich sweet leather thing in the forefront, and a dash of saltiness in the background to keep things balanced.

The burn was steady and even, the draw was just the way I like it....firm, but free. I had to force myself to take it slow with this cigar, as I was determined to take my time and savor this.

I found that as I made my way past the half-way point I could feel the kick and strength of this blend, but in a good way. The flavors remained intense throughout the smoke with enough complexity to keep one guessing as to what flavors might pop up next. Not once did I have to re-light or make any corrections to the burn. I hated to see this cigar come to an end as I singed my fingers before setting it down.

You never know if those special cigar moments are due totally to the cigar itself, or perhaps circumstances and timing, but this cigar certainly provided one of those special moments. I liked everything about this cigar!

I would definitely put this one in the full strength/full bodied category, but you see here's the thing.....

I think what really struck me about this cigar was the BALANCE. The strength did not hide or overpower the flavor. While I did get a rich sweetness, there was also a bit of saltiness to give it this overall fascinating flavor combination. I hope the blend on this cigar remains the same for years to come, if so it will definitely be a constant in my rotation.

Southern Draw is debuting this new line at this year's IPCPR show in Vegas as I am writing this. I would highly recommend giving this line a try.....your opinion may not be the same as mine, but definitely worth checking out

I'd have to give this one a score of 4.99 stars out of 5!