Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
CJ3
Club Member

Puros Indios Limited Edition Viejo

Prologue:

These sample cigars were provided to responding CW Board members by Frank Santos with the proviso that the recipients post a response with their impressions of the cigars. This is my first review of the three cigars that I received; the Puros Indios Limited Edition Viejo.

PRE-SMOKE:
Appearance and Construction: Score: 4 out of 5
Burn: Score: 4 out of 5
Draw: Score: 4 out of 5
Aroma: Score: 3 out of 5

Pre-Smoke Comments:
There’s nothing that strikes me as particularly special as I contemplate my PI Viejo, pre-light. I’m presented with a moderately impressive brown wrapper leaf that looks like nothing less than lightly tanned leather. The leaf is slightly mottled, veined, and shows a bit of “tooth” with the green and white cigar band seeming to jump right off the wrapper, in sharp contrast.

The cigar nips neatly and presents me with a great draw. I like to “drink” a cigar, not sip it, and this cigar suits my preferences to a “T.” The foot lights properly and fully, and I am rewarded with a pretty even burn, and a solid ash that, despite a goodly breeze, clings beyond the halfway point, right to the band! All the more impressive when you consider that I received this cigar loose in a poly bag from Florida!

SMOKE:
Flavor: Score: 5 out of 10
Taste/Aftertaste: Score: 4 out of 10

Smoke Comments:
My PI LE Viejo starts right out with a bit of bite, just to let me know that it means biz-nez. Wow, there’s a tad more here than meets the nondescript eye, that’s for sure! I had selected the Viejo for its relatively non-threatening appearance. What I got for my efforts was a bit more of a tussle than I had expected for the first, relaxing smoke after a long day’s work. The smoke’s on the full side of medium bodied, generous and strong, with just a hint of sublety. I can practically picture the proud patriarch jawing on this one while stalking the fields in search of the perfect leaf!

SUMMARY:

Overall Quality: Score: 6 out of 10

Summary Comments:
A raw, straightforward, no nonsense cigar, combined with decent construction and burn. Whew….A skosh more than I was expecting, but certainly not unpleasant. If only I wasn’t the kind of guy who likes to start the day out with a nice, tame Gispert, I’d rate it a little higher!

That definitely perked me up though! I think I’ll go practice my chipping in the back yard. See Ya!

FINAL RATING: 30 – 3 1/2 Stars, Above Average