Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
Eieyre
Starting Member

Padron Churchill Maduro

Padron Churchill Maduro

Padron is famed for their two Anniversario series, but also for their normal ranged maduros. So far experiences with this particular cigar have been underwhelming, but after a bit of settling down I'm quite optimistic.

First light was spicey, but not harsh. Small hints of raisin-bitterness.
After a while the Padron lost the bitter tang, settling into a deep baritone voice. The flavour is very earthy while lifted by a fruity sweetness. No hints of roasted cocoa which the El Principe (that I smoked earlier in the week) was awash with. The body on the other hand is paradoxically light and airey. Ash is absolutely _perfect_, lined with rings clearly showing each puff.

After 3.5cm the ash has finally fallen off. The Padron has become slightly savory, reminiscent of Lays original chips. There is a very weird light note which tastes exactly like soap when it accidentally gets into your mouth. Extremely unpleasant to say the least.

I suspect the light note came from the tobacco juices slowly seeping out of the other end of the cigar, which have been duly wiped off. A sudden burst of sweet cocoa after around 2 inches in, but the tinges of soy sauce sourness have also developed. This dynamic starts to mature and meld with ammonia threatening to break the doors down. Ash is still as solid as heck.

As Miles Davis's Jazz at the Plaza has ended with a bang, the Padron is mellowing out into a pleasant nondescript cigar flavour. With around 2.5 inches left I wont be able to nub this one because the nicotine is starting to get to me. While Cubans would at this stage usually render the cigar unpleasantly brutal, this one is retiring into a life of sedate old age.

Conclusion
Not a morning cigar and definitely not for beginners. The maduro wrapper is living up to its name with a heavy flavour line, much better suited after a rich dinner and some port. Otherwise the several months of aging have done it wonders leaving me with a good (but not great) cigar.

Note: This was a blow by blow review, one of the benefits of being able to smoke in my room

Also I'm wondering if other people's experiences of the Padron Maduro line have been similar. Mainly because I'm very inexperienced with American-accessible cigars (let alone Padrons) and I'd just like to check that this is what I should expect.