Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
jb
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Well this one was a good one

There has been a lot of talk on here about Fuente's Opus X. Being an avid fan, I have smoked many. I will, however, readily agree that they can be hit and miss. Some feel this is a good reason to avoid these cigars. I continue to smoke Opus on a fairly regular basis as I find them to be more hit than miss. The one I smoked tonight was a classic.

Fuente Opus X Perfection X, 2009.

Prelight this was a beautiful cigar. It had a fairly prominent box press, unusual to find in my experience with this line. The wrapper was light for a rosado. It was beautiful and free of any veins or blemish. It cut easily and cleanly with the crappy guillotine cutter I had to use. The prelight draw was perfect.

Immediately on lighting I was treated to an awesome display of smoke contours hanging in the air around me. Quite an aromatic smell of toasted tobacco and cinnamon filled the air. The first third started robustly with tons of raisin, plum, and cinnamon overtones. The draw remained amazingly perfect and the ash hung on tightly for over an inch before I ashed it much to my keyboard's relief!

The second third continued with an amazing array of plum cinnamon notes. With only a year of age this cigar had all the complexity I hope for and none of the harsh notes sometimes found with younger Opus. The flavors remained constant, yet were so complex in their own right that I did not wish for the profile to change.

The final third remained just as amazing and no harsh notes or bite ever developed. Actually, this was one of the milder Opus X that I have smoked. It was odd as the Perfection X has consistently seemed to be one of if not the absolute strongest of the line. This fine cigar stayed smooth til the end and was complex from foot to nub. Truly a remarkable cigar, and one of the finest I have smoked from any brand or line in recent memory.

93/100.
ISO Opus DCs, RdC, Perf X, #2, and Super Beli. PM if you can help! TIA.
jb is offline   Reply With Quote