Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
jb
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

My take on the Fuente Opus X DC

Jazznut's review and Gumby's despise for these led me to fire this one up:

I enjoy diversity in the cigars I smoke. I've been struck by cigars from Cuba, Nicarauga, the DR and even Honduras. That being said I have a distinct liking for Fuente's Opus X line of smokes. I could probably smoke one a day for life and never grow tired of them. It should be stated however that this is more of a hit and miss cigar than others. The great ones are really great; the average ones are a real disappointment when the sticker price and hype is considered. This is also a cigar I would tell newer smokers to approach with caution. I've only been knocked on my ass by a few cigars in my life and the three I remember most were all Opus. A Power Ranger had me turning green and laying down on the job at Tobacco Bowl, a Reserve de Chateau had me pulled over on the side of the highway to let the wife drive (yes I smoke in my truck, yes with her in it, yes she does not care), and I will skip ahead to the punch line and tell you that this DC has me broken out in a cold sweat by the nub.

My cigar history is better told in another post, but I'll digress a little and say that when I started out I was interested mostly in corona or petite corona sized cigars. Now that I find a little more time to smoke (and have the aforementioned tolerant wife) I've found that bigger cigars appeal to me. I'm fond of a lancero due to the smaller ring gauge but when I have time a churchill or even a DC is a treat I enjoy. I've also made the journey to stronger cigars, so an Opus DC is a cigar I can really spend an enjoyable evening with.

This Opus DC came from an internet friend. It's from 2007 and I'd say the three years did it well. Prelight aromas ranged from spice to an almost raisin like smell. I've always found the smell of the wrapper on an aged Opus is a strange, yet really enjoyable scent. The claro wrapper was free of blemish and had a nice sheen. It was cut easily using a Swiss Army Knife cutter and the prelight draw was perfect.

The cigar lit easily using a DuPont soft flame and produced a billowy bluish gray smoke in the beginning. I've found the DC to usually be a mild version of Opus if there is such a thing. The first third of this cigar was medium in strength and held some interesting floral notes. A solid, gray ash held on as the flavors gave way to a dry, cinnamon quality I've come to associate with other Opus. While I picked up on the typical Opus profile, this cigar was a little thin. Not as complex as some others I've had in this line. Moving into the middle third things really livened up. Cinnamon, toasted oats, and a hint of licorice danced across my palate. The burn stayed even and did not require any help. Moving into the last third, things got interesting. With about three inches left I had notice a change in intensity and a blast of nicotine. I noticed a beads of cold sweat across my forehead. Raisins and toasted nuts overpowered any other subtle flavors. I managed to take the band off in anticipation of smoking this to the nub but I didn't make it. I let it go with about 1/2" of life left in it as I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm usually a guy that thinks a PSD4 or an Opus #4 is a great empty stomach pre-breakfast smoke. This was one strong cigar. While I've had a couple more complex Opus, I appreciated this one for what it was. It was a real kick your ass cigar with enough complexity to keep the strength from being overpowering, almost.

90/100
ISO Opus DCs, RdC, Perf X, #2, and Super Beli. PM if you can help! TIA.

Last edited by jb; 10-02-2010 at 02:16 PM.
jb is offline   Reply With Quote