Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

Humidor seasoning Q

My new humidor has so far reached 73 and climbing in under 24 hours and I am in a dry state. All I did was charge the humidifier and place a shallow dish of distilled water in it. I upgraded the useless analog gauge with an Xikar digital so I know it is right. I have never had a humidor season so quickly. Do you think I can place cigars in it already? They are all Habanos, with no cello of course, and in my experience properly stored cigars without cello actually increase the humidity. This is what I bought:

Old 10-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Ringo
Club Member

So far I love the 'dor. I will review it in a few days.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

That is a very good looking humidor. I like it a lot. Now, when you said you were in a "dry" state, I know you didn't mean liquor free!
Old 10-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Ringo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokestack Jack View Post
That is a very good looking humidor. I like it a lot. Now, when you said you were in a "dry" state, I know you didn't mean liquor free!
Haha no dry as far as low humidity!
Old 10-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I'm guessing that's a Honduran mahogany body with veneer over. Or MDF with veneer outside and cedar veneer inside. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. But it might not season like a cedar lined humidor. Or it was in a humid environment.
The hygrometer tells you what you need to know. I would take the humidifier out, put the cigars in and watch and see what happens. The RH might rise initially, but with the humidifier out, unless it is crazy humid where you are, and you state it isn't, the RH should level off and eventually go down. When it gets below your humidifier RH, put it back in the humidor. Your cigars should be able to survive the brief period of higher RH.

Seasoning a humidor isn't as hard as some people make it. That's my opinion anyway.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Ringo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog View Post
Seasoning a humidor isn't as hard as some people make it. That's my opinion anyway.
I agree with you. I only ever seasoned them for a few days and then put the cigars in. I have seen discussions on the web though where people are seasoning humidors for weeks or even months!

Holds up to 150 cigars
1 rectangle humidifier and 1 glass hygrometer with brass frame
Sureseal technology insures proper lid seal on closure
Premium kiln dried Spanish cedar lined along with a lift-out tray and 2 dividers at the bottom
High gloss maple wood finish with tobacco leaf inlay

Last edited by Ringo; 10-14-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Very nice.
5-7 days is what I've always heard for seasoning a humidor. May be ready in 3, may be ready in 10 - but 5-7 gets you close unless you live in the desert.

John
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote