Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:43 AM   #1
LakeTex

More wine cooler questions

I'm building a game room/smoking room out of a storage unit on my property. I'll be keeping the thing air conditioned to about 85 degrees in summer, 55 or so in winter. Enough so things don't get too bad, and it's still halfway easy on the wallet. I'll turn it to a more comfy temp when I use it. If I want to store cigars out there (and I'll want to), what about a wine cooler? Will it keep the temp and humidity I need?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
FSUScotsman
Herf God

As long as you get a cooler and one of the temp controls, it should work fine. It is going to work pretty hard in the summer though. I keep my house at 76 and I've been lucky with my humidors. I just can't afford to go any lower. I tried the wine cooler last summer and it just wasn't big enough. I would have needed two!!! Now I just keep my good reds in it and it works fine.
The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist!!!!
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
LakeTex

Excellent....I'm working out of a Vicksburg right now, so the wine cooler should double my capacity! Prob keep the Vicks in the house for long term aging and put everything else in the wine cooler. I would like to have a bar with two EWC 28's built in behind it, one on top of the other...One would house wine, and one would have cigars...then the plasma on top of that. Or that's the LT plan.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
veritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTex
I would like to have a bar with two EWC 28's built in behind it, one on top of the other...
I just got my EWC28 in yesterday. I can't wait to get it converted, and my babies moved out of the igloo cooler.
veritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
iminaquagmire

It should work fine. The only thing is, even though the Avanti is thermoelectric, the humidity still swings by a few points each time the cooler kicks on. So beads can potentially be insufficient if the cooler comes on a lot. I use a cigar oasis in mine and even that gets a workout.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire
It should work fine. The only thing is, even though the Avanti is thermoelectric, the humidity still swings by a few points each time the cooler kicks on. So beads can potentially be insufficient if the cooler comes on a lot. I use a cigar oasis in mine and even that gets a workout.
Same with mine. When the cooler works hard, seems I am filling the Oasis a couple times a month and also keeping 1lb of beads moist a couple times a week.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
PLUSH
Club Member

Quote:
I just got mine set up yesterday. Does the fan run all the time? and just the cooler kicks on and off? Plus I seemes to have a few little issues when I got it. the interior light does not work. The lock has no where to lock. And I had to take the back off as the fans in the back were hitting the foam insulation around where the cover is around the plate. It was quite noisy.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
veritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Smoke
Quote:
I just got mine set up yesterday. Does the fan run all the time? and just the cooler kicks on and off? Plus I seemes to have a few little issues when I got it. the interior light does not work. The lock has no where to lock. And I had to take the back off as the fans in the back were hitting the foam insulation around where the cover is around the plate. It was quite noisy.
Where did you buy from? I bought from compact applicance and when I received the unit it was beat to hell. They are sending me another one today.

As for the lock, it's a piece of crap. I think it's designed to keep a small kid from accidently locking themselves in the cooler.

Be sure to air it out for a couple of days before moving in.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
iminaquagmire

The cooler only comes on when the thermostat senses it needs to and the fan is in a relay with that. So when the cooler comes on the fan does too. The light only works when the thermostat is turned on and the lock should go into the the little chrome thing on the bottom. Is that missing?

Did you guys buy new ones? Mine came with so much styrofoam, that I couldn't have done anything if I took a baseball bat to the box.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #10
veritus

Quote:
The cooler only comes on when the thermostat senses it needs to and the fan is in a relay with that. So when the cooler comes on the fan does too. The light only works when the thermostat is turned on and the lock should go into the the little chrome thing on the bottom. Is that missing?

Did you guys buy new ones? Mine came with so much styrofoam, that I couldn't have done anything if I took a baseball bat to the box.
Mine was brand new from CA. (I paid $240 shipped) The styrofoam was all smashed up and in pieces when I received it from FedEx. I hope my new one is ok.