Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Padilla Series 68 Double Toro

I had recently been discussing Ring Gauge, size and comfort and decided to have a larger size smoke today. (yesterday now)

CIGAR: Padilla Series 68 Double Toro

SIZE: 6 x60 Parejo shaped

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo

PAIRING: Cola

http://www.holts.com/media/categoryi...serie-1968.png

This cigar was part of a 10 pack I bought well over 5 years ago. I had smoked a couple of them, but gave away most of them, because of the large Ring Gauge. These were rolled at Tabacalera Aguilar in Honduras, with Criollo and Corojo fillers and binders. I have always liked the Series 68 and Series 1932 and the more recent 1932 Black cigars. They are Med to Full bodied and they have been consistently good. Padilla has had a wide line of product offerings over the years, but these were the only three lines that I smoked regularly. Now, many of you know that Padilla Cigars has recently revamped their entire line up and have launched a new look and new lines to move forward in our evolving cigar market. Their new vision does not include all of the older lines, but I have been assured that they know what their customers like and are working towards those likes and are confident the new lines will still pay homage to those beloved flavor profiles of old.

So, to the cigar here at hand. The size is large there's no way to avoid that at 6 x 60. The Wrapper has a chocolate color with just a hint of red to it. The surface is smooth with only an occasional ripple or bump to take away from it's bold impression. It appears uniform in fill with a nice semi gloss sheen to it's surface. I make a shallow 3/4 diameter cut across the head with my trusty Big Mouth cutter and check the draw. As expected it's an easy draw with a muted barnyard and weedy kind of taste in the offing. I'm sitting in the backyard of my childhood home and admiring a freakishly warm winter day, here in West Texas. I Grab my trusty Blazer torch and fire it up. The cigar breathes to life and we're off! One of the hallmarks of this line is consistency, over the years you continue to get a quality product and great flavor. This cigar continues this tradition. Granted it takes a bit longer to get this larger Ring Gauge up to temp, but once there you can rest easy, because once it's "on burn" you gotta do something foolish for it to go out on ya. I carefully remove the bands, because one thing that the Padilla's believe in, is making sure the bands don't come off, ever. Consequently, I did tear a small hole in the wrapper, but these Corojo wrappers are stout, it will be OK. I don't know for sure why they do the double bands, but they do. It's certainly possible that it resembles another Marca that also starts with a "P" but that's just a guess on my part.

After the first inch the cigar settles into a very rich flavor profile of earthy peat with a nice gentle touch of red pepper. I'll pick up the odd baking bread note every so often, too. This is one of those cigars that tastes good to the smoker, but smells like a barnyard to everyone else. I'm totally OK with that. The cigar burns cool and the white, with flecks of black, ash just drops off and collapses into fine powder when it lands. There was one stem that protruded through once, but it corrected and dropped away and was not repeated. It's nearly 80 Degrees in the middle of February. It's the perfect excuse for a big cigar. I have said that I don't care much for the recent trend to really large ring gauges. If I'm honest I have made the odd compensation comment here and there about them. I guess I viewed them as gimmicky or a fad, but they are here and have not gone away yet. So that's where we find ourselves today. I am enjoying this cool burning well mannered cigar. It wanders in and around Medium Body, but not into the full range like some have before. That could be due to age, I have not been able to let many cigars age too long. Let's face it I Love Cigars and if I'm not smoking one, I'm thinking about smoking one or when can I next smoke one. I have reached the halfway point in this 6 inch cigar and it is doing exactly what a good cigar should do. It needs no tending, it burns cool, it provides an enjoyable flavor and clouds of billowy smoke rising unmolested to the heavens.

The flavor and good manners continue, but the pepper becomes less pronounced and a touch of sweetness, just a hint of it, appears in the latter stages. What an enjoyable cigar. I never recut the head and only purged it twice. There was just a touch of oil as I come near the end, Nice!

As I closed in on the end of this modestly priced and expertly made cigar, I hope that it will continue on in some fashion with the company that produced it. I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar, 60 Ring Gauge and all. It had variety, great flavors and it was obviously well constructed with quality ingredients. Sadly, there are no more in my humidor, I recklessly gave the others away. But take heart! They are still listed at Holt's and other retailers, but they are indeed being being phased out. The new Padilla lines promise many new flavors and sizes and it is my hope is that in the quest for the new and different. That they also remember the cigars and flavors that have brought Pride and Satisfaction to generations of loyal Padilla Customers over the years.

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote