Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Christofori
Starting Member

Quorum Corona 5.5"/43

Name: Quorum
Strength: MEDIUM
Shapes: Churchill, Corona, Gordo, Robusto, Toro, Torpedo
Wrapper: Ecuador Connecticut, Ecuador Sungrown
Origin: Nicaragua
Flavored: No
Pressed: No
Machine Made: No
Has Tip: No
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Sweet: No

Was at my local B&M looking for a quicker/ smaller smoke then the #99's I've been smoking, took the salesman's advise and bought a couple of the Quorum Corona 5.5"/43's at $2.49 per. IMO that's probably about 1/3 rd overpriced on them, but I'm cheap and a newbie so I'll take advise where I can find it, and start buying things online and where ever I can find them.

Appearance / construction: It looked evenly packed from end to end, the wrapper is a touch darker than I was looking for, and it had a pleasant nose with no marked flavor predominating.

Cut: With a brad new cutter, there was either a stem, (or something I did wrong), and it stalled in the cut and ripped a little.

Unlit draw: The darker Nicaraguan leaf was pleasant, (I've smoked a fair amount of Dominican / Connecticut cigars over the years, and I am a little more used to their lighter color/ flavors), it had something that reminded me of days in the summer sun, a clean easy draw pleasant in the mouth.

Burn: I gently toasted the foot, (practicing my technique for better / other cigars), it took the flame easily, and then it lit cleanly. The burn was even on the first 1/3rd, the ash held for nearly 1.5", it was a windy afternoon and it was a whitish gray and looked a little flaky, until it dumped in my lap, there was no lean or warning, one second the ash was firm and attached and the next in was all over my pants as the next toke broke it clean off, the first third was a 15 - 16 minute smoke.

The second 1/3rd continued with a good burn, (reading other reviews where people are recommending 1 - 2 tokes a minute, I slowed down my smoking from 4 or 5 tokes), and it began to loose it's cherry, it did not need touching up, but I did have to take a few additional tokes in a hurry to keep it going! The ash held for another 1.25" then dropped in my lap again! DUH! It was at this point that the burn became uneven with a little tunneling and burned down the glue line.

Overall it was pretty impressive with the evenness of the burn.

Aroma / flavor: This is a very mild smoke, a little wood on the front end, the slightest hint of nuttiness in the first third, past that 1/3rd it became a little harsher, and a touch acrid where I overheated it, (if that's enough to stop you in your tracks, you would miss the pleasantness return), as it continued down the second 1/3rd.

Taste / aftertaste: Light in the taste department, acrid when overheated, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good the aftertaste was.

Appearance / construction: 3
Burn: 3
Draw: 3
Aroma:2
Flavor: 5
Taste / aftertaste: 5

Total = 21 so a 3 star very average smoke!

Conclusion: Definitely in the yard gar category, at $2.49 from the B&M it's overpriced, online prices from $1.42 are a much more realistic price point IMO!

George Dennison Prentice

Last edited by Christofori; 06-02-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Christofori is offline   Reply With Quote