Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Modifying a West Bend "Original Poppery" to roast coffee

The following illustrations show the simple modification I do to my first-generation West Bend Poppery ("Original Poppery") hot air popcorn poppers before I begin using them to roast coffee. Switching one wire makes the fan motor run whenever the unit is plugged in, so that the unit's on/off switch controls only the heating element.

The benefit of this modification is that, once your coffee reaches the roast you want, you can flip off the switch and the beans then cool rapidly because they're being tumbled in a column of air that quickly reaches ambient temperature.

Disclaimer: Unplug the freakin' popper before starting! Make this modification at your own risk! I am not an electrician, nor do I play one on TV, and I'm dead certain this modification is not approved by West Bend. This modification does not disable the thermal protection switch that is standard on the Poppery and so should not pose a fire hazard, but proceed with caution anyway. I've never had any trouble with Popperies I've modified this way, but that doesn't mean you won't. Proceed with caution. You're on your own.

The process

1. Turn the Poppery upside down

2. Remove the plastic base (held on by 4 #1 Phillips screws located inside the rubber "feet")

3. Remove the metal heat shield (held in place by 3 #1 Phillips screws)

4. Closeup of the inside of the Poppery showing the original wiring:

Note that there are three terminal posts with black and red wires connected to them. Orient the Poppery so that the flat (front) side of the unit is towards you, as shown in the photo. To make the modification, remove the nuts holding the wires on the center and left-hand terminal posts, and switch the red wire from the center post to the left hand post. Reinstall the terminal nuts.
5. Closeup of the inside of the Poppery showing the modified wiring:

6. Reinstall the heat shield and the plastic base and you're done.

That's all there is to it. I've done this with several Popperies and never had a problem, but I'd still recommend testing the unit outside before doing any actual roasting with it. The fan should turn on as soon as the unit is plugged in. Check to make sure the switch turns the heater on and off. Roast coffee and have fun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 01-01-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote