Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

A couple of Diageo/UDV's 'hidden' malts...

United Distillers & Vintners recently inaugurated its "Hidden Malts' Series to highlight single malt whisky issues from 4 of its lesser-known distilleries. This collection includes Caol Ila (with 12 and 18 year old as well as cask-strength expressions of this fine Islay spirit), Clynelish (a 14 year old bottling from this wonderful northern Highland outpost), Glen Elgin (a 12 year old of this sporadically available Speysider) and Glen Ord (another 12 year old from this ill-served Ross-shire site).

I managed to nab bottles of the Caol Ila and Glen Elgin 12 year olds.

From preliminary perceptions, the Caol Ila is far the paler visually, leaning more to the greenish-gold end of the spectrum while the Glen Elgin shows a deeper, ochre-tinged gold.

Dramatically different aromas, of course, with the Islay whisky tossing out a medicinally herbaceous smokiness, the Highlander emitting a calmer, fruitier, honey-blossom range of scents.

I was quite taken aback on the palate by the Glen Elgin, which seemed to bounce about in lively fashion from a honeyed fruitiness (at times Mackintosh apple-like and at times more pear-like) to crisp, spicy oak - most engaging. If you're a fan of the Balvenie range, then this one's definitely worth checking out.

The Caol Ila started out with a surge of gristy, fruit-tinged (ultra-ripe lemons with some underlying banana oils, perhaps) sweetness, and this characteristic surprisingly persisted through infusions of drier oak and peat right to the very end - nicely integrated.

All told, both represent well-crafted and very drinkable whiskies.

I need to pour more.