Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2005, 04:18 AM   #1
rookie139
Herf God

First Pipe!

Thank you Ted, Steve, and Tony for your unbelievable generosity!!

Well, I smoked my first pipe...I first printed out the sticky info on the top of the page about how to pack your pipe, etc

I chose a Dr Grabow Savoy as my first pipe (beautiful pipe!...It looks beautiful and felt right in the hand..beautiful smooth finish...medium brown) and I chose (after smelling all of the various tobaccos you guys sent) the Cade's Cove Cavendish as my first experience!

The tobacco has a very appealing smell...A cross between vanilla and some type of sweet alcohol...It's very hard to describe!

I packed the pipe according to the directions in the sticky...It didn't seem very hard to do...WHen I was finished and the draw was sufficient, I then used long wooden matches to char the top of the tobacco (the "false light") and then afterward, I lit the pipe!

I may not have packed it as well as I could have because the draw was somewhat loose but still OK I would describe it as a medium draw

After two or three draws, I kept thinking to myself, "This IS a nice alternative to cigars!"...I really was enjoying myself! )

I am still a little unclear how long a bowl is supposed to last...I smoked it for about ten minutes and it felt right!...Held the pipe by the bowl the whole time and never left it in my mouth...The flavors were light and wonderful, reminded me of tollhouse cookies baking in the oven!

Afterward, I emptied the bowl, removed the stem and cleaned the bowl with a pipecleaner as directed!

Thank you to all of you!...I look forward to getting more adept at packing and enjoying a pipe!...I definitely see this being an every day occurrence, like cigars!...This is a very appealing way to enjoy tobaccos!

Keith