Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Winston Churchill by Davidoff Chequers (short review)

Winston Churchill
Chequers
5 5/8 x 46 Corona Gorda

Very nice, evenly-colored colorado wrapper with a milk chocolate hue. Pale veins and a nice round-headed cap. Cut very nicely and pre-light draws hinted at slightly-sweet, hay-like flavor.
Started with a pleasantly sweet woody flavor that persisted throughout the cigar. Complex with a very pleasing aroma and medium body. Finish was cedary and melded well with the choice of Wild Turkey Rare Breed bourbon whiskey. Rich flavors of different woods, toasted tobacco, a dusting of pepper, and nuances of grass and sweet chocolate.
Halfway through, the woody, sugary sweet flavors persisted and continued to pair well with the bourbon.
The final third was toasty and woody, with a background of barnyard, kind of sweat-like aromas (which was bad, but only added to the complex, layered flavor). Dry leaves, grass, and sweet spices on the tongue.
Construction was typical of Davidoff...excellent. Perfect burn and draw, firm medium-gray ash that never so much as flaked.

I must confess I wasn't expecting much. Having read some other reviews from other forums, most of them panned this line as one-dimensional and boring. Plus, I've historically had bad luck with Davidoff cigars. With understandably low expectations, I was very pleasantly surprized by this one! Very rich and complex, Cuban-like in its layers, and worhty of the Davidoff legacy...and Sir Winston's name, IMHO.

If your local B&M has it in, I highly recommend trying a stick.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote