Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Maccabee

IPCPR: Tatascan

This will be short, as not much going on with this one.
This is another Rubusto
Pre-light: Cut and lit very easily. construction was good, no veins. The armoa was light but it was earthy and wood.
Post-Light: The Tones of this one was much in line with the prelight, earthy, with some wood, maybe a hint of leather and nuts. It was a very mild cigar so it was difficult to really get a good taste. Even in the retro that was not much to report. The tones i did get was consistent, not bitter. Good smoke as far as consistency, but i found it to be too mild for my liking. I did not get that relaxed feeling, not did i get enough flavor. I would say this is average at best. If you like mild cigars you may give it a higher rating, but for me 19. the aroma, flavor, and over all enjoyablity was missing for me.
Maccabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

That's a new blend from C.L.E. As I recall from the information we got, it was intended as light-bodied. Certainly not for everyone. Sorry you got one that didn't fit your profile.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Ž £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

IPCPR 2016 Tatascan

The mountaintop has long been a rendezvous point for man and God, or man to seek out his God, or some other form of higher perspective. Many have said over the years, that they have come to know of His existence from being in the mountains, others in the lush forests or in tropical locations. These stunning spots on the earth make South Louisiana downright average at best. However there are execptional days, like this one, where there’s the faint cold of a cool breeze on a cloudless New Orleans November afternoon. This is one of those. This trope you have seen in my writings as of late, when only these types of afternoons will suffice for me to come outside put pen-to-paper and match-to-cigar.
Today, this November Sunday, it’s now been three months since the 2016 International Premium Cigar and Piper Retailers’ show in Las Vegas, Nevada. I still have cigars from that show to smoke and review for the dozen or so loyal fans I may have left…I don’t want to get a big head or attitude.

In looking, Christian Eiroa’s CLE company introduced some new blends in Las Vegas, and this is one of them I pull out of the Cigar Weekly IPCPR goodie bag. Research tells me that it is made in the Las Lomas factory in Honduras, belonging to Julian Eiroa. The Tatascan is a Honduran puro and ad copy reads that it’s meant to be a mild offering. I believe this to be the Toro Prensado which should be 6.2” x 54 ring gauge. The wrapper leaf is a shade-grown, light-colored wrapper that is rather pretty with only one non-threatening vein to it. Some chips in the wrapper are due to the smoker’s negligence trying to get “that shot” for the presentation. That carelessness has resulted in a poor clip and the cut unravels. Poor form, there, cigar reviewer.

The pre-light aroma and flavor is sweet and pleasant, this guy lit on one match and has taken off immediately. The burn is exemplary already. It is mild, but there are some underlying inklings of interest here. It’s not as sweet as it initially presented itself to be, I like it. There’s a nuttiness and a toastiness to it, all at the same time, even at this early juncture.

Midway through the cigar, and there is a bolt of ligero emerging from down there in the burning center . There is enough of it to be noticed and to give some underlying strength. This is a fine cigar, some who have much more desire for the stronger cigars may enjoy it less, however. Most folks who discuss cigars online over the last number of years seem to hold Christian Eiroa in high regard, and his cigars always draw a following and hold it. This one should be no exception. This is a “would-smoke-again” and a “would purchase” if I encounter it somewhere if I find myself sans cigars.

Although still half-way through, I expect no nasty surprises at the end. CLE has done well here and I will wholeheartedly endorse the Tatascan cigar. Being a fan and wearer of good hats, I like the band on this cigar too, just another little detail to which I can connect. It’s a high-recommendation I give this cigar.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Interesting to have a "hate" and glowing review in he same thread...

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
Interesting to have a "hate" and glowing review in he same thread...
The first one? That's just Neil, what does he know?

Like Jeff said, it simply appears that it wasn't to his favored profile, too mild for him. I found it a bit more than mild, it had just enough ligero to say hellooooo, but not enough to blow one away.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Maccabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
The first one? That's just Neil, what does he know?

Like Jeff said, it simply appears that it wasn't to his favored profile, too mild for him. I found it a bit more than mild, it had just enough ligero to say hellooooo, but not enough to blow one away.
Hate is such a strong word, just not impresssed,yet I Will Always submit to the more knowledgeable of good hat wearers.(:
All this time and still remember those smokes though.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Maccabee is offline   Reply With Quote