Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2002, 05:09 AM   #1
sucol
Club Member

My favorite cigar is the Trinidad Fundadore. I rate the Cohiba Lancero as fourth or fifth on my list, depending on the day. Thus, I was excited to see my favorite domestic manufaturer producing this shape. I understand comparing this cigar to the two listed above is in many ways unfair, but it gives me an established standard to work from. After smoking three, my impressions ...

Firstly, the shape is distinguished from the ISOM's listed above. It is slightly smaller in ring guage and length. The wrapper is dusky and dry, and mildly rough (some of this may be due to inadequate storage in the shop I purchased them from). It cuts easily, as you would expect, and lights easily as well.

It starts mildly, indistinguishable from others in the "extreme" line. However, it grows harsh about halfway in, a fault the Trinidad, and to a lesser extent the Cohiba, never have. I was also troubled by the fact that, despite its small ring guage, two of the three burned unevenly and I needed to "relight" them to correct the burn.

Overall - It is certainly a decent tasting cigar, especially initially, but this has never been CAO's best tasting line, IMHO. It is a courageous and interesting idea to attempt production of this storied shape, but in taste, appearance, and construction there is still some work to be done. I hope CAO will not be discouraged by lagging sales and will refine and reproduce this shape in the coming years.

Rating = 81/100

Wife and Dog Missing - Reward for Dog