Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

What's the Craziest Thing You've Ever Grilled...

...that you'd actually recommend?
I don't even like brusell sprouts, eggplant, or cauliflower but have tried some recipes that make us yearn for them.
I've also grilled pineapple, watermelon, and tomoatoes, and loved them all.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I'm almost certainly not the right guy to be asking this question.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
gumby
Contributing Editor
Herf God

True. Being from Mizzou I'd expect the answer to either be "squirrel" or "yankee".

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
hermit
Club Member

I used to grill eel.
Never thought of it as crazy though.

“Ours may become the first civilization destroyed, not by the power of our enemies, but by the ignorance of our teachers and the dangerous nonsense they are teaching our children. In an age of artificial intelligence, they are creating artificial stupidity.”

Thomas Sowell
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

A relative and I once grilled a racoon. Seriously, it tasted like turkey.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
SmoKerch
Herf God

During a power outage after an ice storm: Frozen pizza.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
gumby
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTwin View Post
Baked brie. Use the pizza stone on indirect.
Man, gotta try that one, sounds great!

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

my left hand

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
my left hand
So, the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing?
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Brian, at your suggestion, I settled on a class on grilling. I could have gone any number of directions, but grilling seemed a good place to start. On the application, you have to post a syllabus for the class. It's a seven week, three hour course. I could use some help/constructive criticism with that and I know just the group to get me what I need. Here's what I have so far:

Week 1: Basics. Tools and tips on tools, how to build a one, two and three stage fire, seasoning tips, making rubs and marinades from scratch, proper techniques for grilling, how to measure doneness, proper temps for particular meats.

Week 2: Chicken. Selecting cuts to grill, trimming for the grill, indirect vs. direct grilling, how to butterfly a bird, brining, salting and other seasonings, doneness. Recipes: Margarita chicken breasts, spicy teriyaki wings, simple BBQ chicken, dry-rubbed chicken legs.

Week 3: Pork. Selecting cuts to grill, trimming for the grill, indirect vs. direct cooking, smoking or grilling, brining, to rub or not to rub, sauces, doneness, butterflying a pork loin. Recipes: apple-cranberry stuffed pork loin roast, orange-garlic pork chops, country-style ribs.

Week 4: Beef. Selecting cuts to grill, trimming, indirect vs. direck cooking, reverse sear method, rubs and marinades, doneness. Recipes: Margarita fajitas, grilled ribeye steak, burgers, kebabs.

Week 5: Seafood. Proper selection of seafood to grill, methods of grilling fish, skewering basics, planking, doneness. Recipes: Bacon-wrapped shrimp, whole grilled snapper, cedar-planked salmon.

Week 6: Veggies. Selecting veggies to grill, proper preparation of veggies to grill, skewer or not to skewer, grill basket stir-frying, doneness. Recipes: Baba ganoush, mixed veggie kebabs, fire roasted corn salsa, stir-fry.

Week 7: Appetizers and desserts. Recipes: Grilled peaches with bourbon glaze, grilled caramel pineapple pops, scallops on stilts, moink balls, ABTs.

The class will be between 6 and 12 and students will get to sample the foods grilled as the class progresses. Since it will run from 6 to 9 PM, it's sort of dinner with a class. If this goes well, I can do an advanced class or a class on smoking or sausage making or other cuisines (I can cook just about everything).

Whaddaya think? The deadline for this year has passed, but I could submit it for next year.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote