Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 11-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I made lasagna Friday...

I make a pretty good one. Almost three pounds of mozzarella, half pound provolone, burger, shrooms, a layer of ricotta, and it drives the family crazy. The important thing is good cheese, the Stella in balls is good. Tear it into chunks or shred into huge bits to get the stretch.

I get the five pound block at Sam's.

So, to the point, the screwhead brother in law asked my wife if I would make it for him, but "use more hamburger".

First off, it is a cardinal sin to step on another guy's special recipe. If anyone ever dares to make it for a gathering, I will never serve it again. Second, don't you dare criticize or suggest changes. I make it how it's best.

So I made a batch, the traditional huge four pound pan and the little square for that other end of the town. This time, I didn't bake it, and forgot to tell them.

I think that they ate it raw.

So today, ginger got a text suggesting that chicken lasagna would be good.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Btw, I soaked that glass pan in bleach water overnight, and I'm still uncertain if it's clean enough to use again. I might send it to goodwill.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post
Btw, I soaked that glass pan in bleach water overnight, and I'm still uncertain if it's clean enough to use again. I might send it to goodwill.
try soaking it in water with detergent brian, bleach won''t take off baked on cheese, I think you need something that helps water get into the cheese and gunk.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I love a good lasagna. I used to make my own pasta and start from there. I even have a lasagna die for my Atlas pasta machine. Who has the time for that anymore? It can be a cheese lasagna, meat, seafood, or even veggie as long as it doesn't have eggplant in it.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

I love lasagna, and your recipe sounds GREAT.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
N8DCJ
Club Member

A friend of mine , his parents came from Italy in early 1960's , people just rave about her lasagna , I asked for her recipe , she wrote it down , seemed awful basic , I made it , it was ok ...

She asked me if I made it , I told her I did , she told me ok , one day I will give you the real recipe ...

She just wanted to see if I was even going to make it...

I think I will start asking for the real one...

Dan
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
I love lasagna, and your recipe sounds GREAT.
It really is a good thing.

The key points are getting a true kneaded mozzarella, like the Stella, none of the brick stuff. Usually that is bought in balls. Don't shred it fine, it is best shredded about as thick a a skinny French fry. Don't skimp, use a pretty heavy layer. I get a good provolone and one layer of slices near the top. I put a good layer of ricotta mixed with an egg, maybe more than a cup, load it into a Ziploc, snip a corner, and spray it like frosting over the first noodles. Light layer of fine ground beef ever layer of noodles, a can of mushrooms, mainly for texture, cut then into half inch pieces. Use a couple jars of good sauce. Yes, I cheat. So many people make it with mostly pasta and very little cheese, but this is made to really showcase the cheese.

When it's finally rested for ten and I serve, they are staring and drooling, and that cheese may string out over a foot as I pull it out. It's a long process making this, but you have enough to feed nearly twenty people, a full sheet pan and a half pan.

One of the nice things is that it's not all the same bite to bite.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
try soaking it in water with detergent brian, bleach won''t take off baked on cheese, I think you need something that helps water get into the cheese and gunk.
I'm not worrying about cleaning off the cheese or other gunk.

I just don't know how to get rid of the bobby cooties.

I picked up a gallon of muriatic acid. that should do it.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

let me tell you sometime about 1 normal nitric acid and my shoes and jeans

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #10
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
let me tell you sometime about 1 normal nitric acid and my shoes and jeans
guncotton?