Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2002, 11:59 PM   #1
clone-k
Starting Member

My life was clicking along just fine recently trying up every type of cigar I could get my hands on, when suddenly I was hit with a terrifying fact. I was becoming a slave to Maduro cigars. It all started with a La Gloria Cubana Serie R #4. I had tried maduro's before, but I was still in the try everything to find my place game. When I first tried the La Gloria Cubana I was in heaven. The draw was perfect, the burn was perfect, and was in love with a cigar for the first time since my Victor Sinclair Bohemian Black (Oscuro). But instead of becoming its slave I decided to try other maduro's to keep in my current tradition of trying new cigar experiences. My next victim was a Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur size which I don't remember at this point, and outside of a tougher draw, more incredible full flavor. I was in heaven. Next up I tried a Butera Vintage Maduro, and was let down for the first time. It was relatively un complex in comparison to the two previous, and on top of that I paid way more than I liked to for it which may have hindered my enjoyment. After that I rolled on to a Macanudo Maduro, and was happy again. With a unique shape and solid flavors I again was on my maduro crusade. My next victim was a Onyx Reserve that was actually a revolutionary step in my cigar evolution, in that for the first time I was able to distinctively pick out chocolate and coffee flavors. Flying high off that discovery I tried a Punch Gran Cru #II, and I thoought I had my champion. I again could easily pick out the flavors, and with added spice and size I thought I had made my great connection with the cigar gods. Outside of the price it was easily the best smoke I ever layed lips on. Until a friend gave me a La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5. It was better than the #4 I had first started this quest with, and as we speak my meager humidor now has 20 residents. My 6 cuban cohibas had 4 brothers join them thanks to the repressentative I work for, and I now have 5 Gran Cru #II, and 5 La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5's. The La Gloria Cubana's are in trouble for I can't hold off their temptations, but my search must go on. IF you have any other choices of good maduro's I should try please let me know. As a fiend, I thank you in advance. Maybe I need counciling.... It is odd how a simple gift has changed my hobby world forever.

Your Pal,
Clone K

P.S. What is a good amount of time for a cuban Cohiba to live in a humidor before smoking? I seam to be going to get 4 every month, so I would like to conserve and have some for special occassions, but now that I actually have some skill in noticing some of the finer points of great cigars I would really like to try one at its best. I have to fight off the temptation to smoke them all as it is, and desperately hate myself for wasting 6 of them when I had no clue what to look or taste for in a fine cigar. Any time of gestation (hehe)info would be greatly appreciated.
Surgeon General Clone K's Warning: Cigar smoking is probably bad for you, even if you don't inhale. Please send all of yours and any you encounter immediately to me, so I can dispose of them in an orderly fashion. Vote Clone K for Mooch of the Month!!
clone-k is offline   Reply With Quote