Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Considering a Wine-a-dor..

I won an award at work.
Big enough that I could buy a 36 bottle wine fridge...

The wine fridge I'm looking at is ~3.3cu. ft. inside.

How does that work out in "40 quart coolers"? Is that ONE cooler worth of cigars? 2?

and of course, your thoughts and advise are always welcome!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
macsauce13
Club Member

Check around for a dinged/dented one. I see people get crazy good deals on those. Also, congrats on the award!

Are you wanting to put in cedar shelves? Do you have more singles or boxes?
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
solomr2
Herf Meister

Congrats on winning that award.

I've been using a winefridgador for about 13 years. I actually ran it for about 3 years, then I finally came to the conclusion I was wasting my time in the endless pursuit of stabilizing the RH while the compressor kept trying to dry out of my cigars. So I unplugged it! And guess what? It worked better than ever!

It wasn't a loss, all the things I did to stabilize the RH worked even better when it was off. Plus I love seeing my boxes of cigars through the tinted glass door. The cigars I have aged in there are awesome, despite the weather here in Florida.

Let me know if you want to know more, I don't mind sharing my experiences and observations.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Humidification is the issue with these. I tried one for a while, could never come up with a way to keep it stable. Built a closetador, problem solved.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Again I'm hung up a bit on the capacity. In Georgia from April through September i'm wanting to draw humidity out of everything. Not too different from houston, actually...

I've got 4 coolerdors, full. I don't think a 3.3 cu ft wine-ador is gonna cut it to even clear 1 of them.. *sigh*.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com

Last edited by BigJohn; 08-03-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

At thirteen 48-qt coolers, plus overflow, the closet was not optional. Of course, the closet was also an enabler...I only had 7 coolers when I built the sucker.

I never really struggle to maintain RH. I can forget to check the beads for six months, and find the coolers at 64-67%, which is exactly what I want. Ambient RH here in the subtropics typically runs 50-80%, but the inside environment is a bit more stable around 55% or so during the summer, a little less in the winter.

When I tried a wine cooler, I used a remote RH meter. Watching that thing drop from 65% to 20% in two minutes while the compressor ran was a real bummer. Nothing I tried helped...and I tried a BUNCH of things. I eventually sold it to a coworker who wanted it for wine.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:47 AM   #7
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

After talking with John last night, his budget is based upon what the company can order from Amazon. My first piece of advice was to save the money and buy an Aristocrat later. That isn't a realistic option.

I think what he's looking for here is a reasonable facsimile available thru Amazon without it being just another cooler. My 30 qt is bursting at the seams and I gave John my presentation stand-alone humi 10 years ago. Phil has an Aristocrat and it is my firm belief as a cigar guy and the son of a professional woodworker that it is the best way to go.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I, too, think an Aristocrat can't be beat. They look great and work wonderfully well. It's a joy each time I open mine up to select a cigar.

With that said, I have always been convinced that if one is simply looking to store cigars that a cooler is the way to go. An Aristocrat is for people who want a great looking humidor, with large capacity, that simply works. The cooler can provide that, but doesn't have the "look."

With the exception of a humidor closet, I can't think of an all-around better way to store cigars then in an Aristocrat.

One of these days I might upgrade to the M-Plus. That's always been my dream humidor. Of course, I wouldn't say no to a humidor closet either.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #9
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Thanks guys. you've diverted me from making an extravagant 'misstep'. Not that it would be a mistake, it just would not be any sort of improvement, it seems.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Thanks guys. you've diverted me from making an extravagant 'misstep'. Not that it would be a mistake, it just would not be any sort of improvement, it seems.
I do think the wine coolers look cool. I also like the idea of getting one that may not be running for a song and then using it as a regular coolerdore. Unless you're keeping it in a very hot area, your really don't have to worry about keeping the temperatures down.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote