Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Black Label Trading Company Morphine

No information about these on the BLTC website, but I found a 2015 press release statement at kohnhed.com:

From the BLTC Morphine press release:
“PRESS RELEASE:
June 3, 2015 — Black Label Trading Company is pleased to announce the second release of MORPHINE: Hand crafted in Esteli at Fabrica Oveja Negra.

“Black Label Trading Co. first released MORPHINE in June, 2014. This year MORPHINE was produced by BLTC’s factory, Fabrica Oveja Negra in Esteli.

“MORPHINE was a huge success for BLTC last year. I believe it was the right cigar for our company at the right time, we had to bring it back in 2015! After playing with the blend at the new factory we decided to change things up a bit. The filler blend is now 100% Nicaraguan, with the quality of the Nicaraguan tobacco we have this year, it just made sense to highlight that in the blend. We also beefed things up a bit by adding a Short Robusto in the mix and changing the corona to a Box Pressed Corona Gorda. All vitolas still have the signature double wrapper of Ecuador Maduro and Mexican San Andrés Maduro.” Said Brown.

“MORPHINE cigars will be available in very limited quantities at select BLTC retailers June 27, 2015. Production of 100 boxes per vitola will be released.”

According to smallbatchcigar.com where I purchased these cigars, the 2017 release consisted of three sizes:
Corona 5 1/2 X 42
Lancero 7 1/4 X 42
Robusto 4 1/2 X 50
And these specs:
Wrapper: Mexican San Andres Maduro
Binder: Nicaraguan Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan

I purchased a box each of the Corona and Lancero when released over the summer based on my experience with BLTC's Black Works Studio Killer Bee, NBK, and a few others, and the many very positive reviews including our own Jefslat's. I liked the Lancero so much that I immediately purchased another box to split with Jefslat. I am reviewing the Lancero here.

This cigar has a dark brown wrapper with some prominent veins and a nipple on the triple cap. Very consistent bunch indicating a high quality roll. A fairly potent barnyard like aroma coming off of the wrapper with an herbal note. There is a second band on the foot, which I've never been a fan of, but it came off easily and cleanly.

The cigar produces a ton of smoke right off the bat. I haven't smoked one of these in a few months, and last I remember was a spicy blast at the start that settled down fairly quickly. This time it's smooth and creamy with the spiciness in the background.

The burn line is consistently even throughout though not quite straight. As you can see in the second picture the burn was slightly off midway but it corrected itself after a minute or so. Definitely a very high quality cigar.

1st third is consistent in flavor, a bit of leather with a slight herbal and earthiness and the ever present spice in the background. Just a wonderful full tobacco flavor with the creamy smoke.

The spiciness and some Woody notes become more prominent in the 2nd third. Getting even fuller and spicier going into the second half. This is a full and strong cigar.

I really like their band artwork, especially the intricate skull on some of them.

Flavors hold consistent throughout the last third, leather, slightly herbal with the spiciness coming to the forefront and keeps building in strength. Final smoking time 1 hour 45 minutes.

Just an outstanding cigar as are most from this company. An easy 9+/10
JLOH #19

Last edited by ak2000; 01-27-2018 at 09:23 PM.
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
hermit
Club Member

Oxycontin for their next release?

“Ours may become the first civilization destroyed, not by the power of our enemies, but by the ignorance of our teachers and the dangerous nonsense they are teaching our children. In an age of artificial intelligence, they are creating artificial stupidity.”

Thomas Sowell
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote