Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Wankel
Herf God

Turkish Coffee

Have gotten turned on to this at work by a co-worker.

I have an ibrik and some ground coffee that my friend gave me before he left. However, I am wondering -

a.) My grinder can't grind the coffee fine enough, I don't want to invest in a Turkish grinder at this point, and I'm not sure which varieties/blends would be best anyway. That being said, what is the best brand of pre-ground turkish coffee without cardamom added?

b.) My friend opened the cardamom pods and ground the seeds with the coffee. Some references say to add the whole unopened pod to the cup. Some say brew the spice with the coffee, some say to add it to the cup when serving. Which way is traditional?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
mojoe
Herf God

When I lived in Turkey they served it with the entire seed in it not ground...Was good stuff though..Liked the Chi too..
Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Girardian
Club Member

I picked up an Ibrik in Turkey a few years ago and a second in Israel this past year. There's a local restaurant that has a true hot sand pit for brewing, and it produces a great cup.

I'm a vacuum pot or espresso drinker myself, but I do enjoy this coffee. However, I've never tried making it myself with the addition of cardamom.

I think it's time to pick some up and brew it with the whole spice.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

http://www.turkishcoffeeworld.com/Tu.../tcw-xme02.htm

what the guys at one of my hospitals drink

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

I don't have any cardamom, but some nights, I make my fresh roast in my ibrik. Still good.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Wankel
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx
http://www.turkishcoffeeworld.com/Turkish_coffee_by_Mehmet_Efendi_p/tcw-xme02.htm

what the guys at one of my hospitals drink
DANG, it must be good because I can't pronounce the name....

Say, this hospital ain't in Dearborn, izzit?

Thanks a mil, pal...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Long Island... there's an Azerbaijanian restaurant a few blocks away. Ask what Kemal Attaturk drank, that ought to be good enough for you.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 AM   #8
Wankel
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx
Long Island... there's an Azerbaijanian restaurant a few blocks away. Ask what Kemal Attaturk drank, that ought to be good enough for you.
New York or Virginia?
Kemal wasn't too popular when he sez
You boys gotta duff that fez.
Why did Constantinople get the works?
Thats nobody's bizness but the Turks...