Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2003, 08:40 PM   #1
wer
Club Member

FSB #12 (blind review of La Aroma de Cuba Robusto)

FSB #12 (2 of 2)

To repeat the preamble I wrote in the other review, I'm sorry for the delay in posting. I smoked my blinds for the Fatshotbud pass/play last week, but holiday commitments have prevented me from getting my reviews together quicker. I'm composing this from memory and the notes I scribbled while smoking the cigar.

FSB #12 was another classic robusto (5x50). This one had a dark chocolate brown, oily maduro wrapper with modest venation. There were no noticeable pre-light aromas however. I ventured out to my garage to avoid outdoor effects (ie, cold winds) from impinging upon my smoking experience. This time I had a newly refilled lighter and a tall glass of water on hand. I torched the foot after a clean cut, but it was a bit slow to light up. Once it started the cigar burned fine. The initial flavor was nice, not harsh like first draws can be at times. The cigar had a good, firm draw. There was a tight gray ash and the room filled with a standard volume and consistency of smoke.

This is a cigar whose appearance screams chocolate, cocoa, leather, axle grease.... what have you, but where were the flavors?! There simply wasn't anything there. Now, I'm not a person who becomes easily bored. I can almost always find something to occupy my attention. But, that's what I found myself doing....looking for something to hold my attention because this cigar certainly wasn't doing a very good job of keeping me entertained.

The flavor improved toward the middle with some spicy pepper (or was it peppery spice ) developing, but still none of the full-bodied richness I expected from this attractive wrapper. I was relieved when only an inch remained and I could set this down and light up a CAO Brazilia I brought out as a backup for the evening.

Sometimes a cigar is so good, so complex that you feel guilty about not dropping everything and committing all your attention to its subtle essences. Other times it is nice to simply be smoking something as a secondary activity to reading, yard work, etc. I wouldn't classify this as a yard ‘gar, but neither do I deem it worthy of devoting my complete, albeit limited, mental acuities. My recommendation is "buy if available at bargain prices."

So Bud, how'd I do?
wer is offline   Reply With Quote