Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2003, 10:17 AM   #1
dartplayer1
Club Member

Taste Test of 2 aged VS 2 un-aged PSD4's

Here a while back I posted in the trading room that I wanted to compare an aged cigar to an un-aged one of the same kind. Well one of our fine brothers mcgoospot sent me 4 PSD4’s numbered 1-4 for me to try. He even gave me an idea on how he would do the taste test.

All 4 of them looked very nice #1 & #3 both where some what darker than #2 & #4 I do not know if this was a result of the ageing or just a different color wrapper. All 4 had that great aroma and in very excellent condition when they arrived.

When I got the time to set down I smoked #1 and #2 at the same time 2 or 3 puffs on one then a drink of water and then 2 or 3 puffs on the other. I had never smoked a pair of cigars like this but what a great way to taste the difference in 2 cigars.

#1 was not harsh at all very smooth with that great spicy taste Partaigas are know for and that great tobacco taste and some other flavors that I could just not tell what they where. It was a medium-bodied cigar that had a very pleasant punch I enjoyed very much.

#2 was somewhat harsh and had a grassy taste it had some of the Partaigas spice but not that great tobacco taste and not even a hint of other flavors. It was also a medium bodied cigar that to me just did not have the punch I like about Partaigas.

I could not tell much about the finish as I think by the time I was done the taste and finish of both cigars had run together somewhat.

After this test I would guess that #1 was the aged cigar and #2 was young.

I smoked #3 & #4 a couple days later 1 at a time about 6 hours apart.

#3 was very smooth and was a very spicy punchy cigar that had a lot of that great Partaigas taste that I really like. I could pick up on a little sweetness or maybe coco taste form time to time. The finish was very strong for the 1st hour after I smoked it and I could taste it for at least 2-1/2 to 3 hrs. This was a very good cigar that was medium bodied.

#4 was not as harsh as # 2 and did have a lot more tobacco flavor and I did pick up more spice with this one. This cigar was also medium bodied but not as punchy as #’s 1 & 3. The finish did not stay with me as long but it was not unpleasant as I would think with a cigar that was a little harsh I enjoyed this cigar better that #2 but I think only because I was not smoking #’ 1 & 3.

Well I am going to guess that 1 & 3 where the aged cigars and 2 & 4 are the un-aged ones.

Now for the disclaimer:

I am very inexperienced with aged cigars and not a lot of Cuban experience either so I could be very wrong but I do know I enjoyed 1 & 3 more than 2 & 4 and if I am correct and the aged ones are 1 & 3 then yes I think it would be worth it to put a box or 2 back for another time

I would like to thank Mike for trading me the cigars to do this with.