Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quesada Oktoberfest Toro 2015 Maduro

I have a few of these cigars laying around and thought one of these dark wrapper beauties would be a good choice for "May is for Maduros".

The band reads: Quesada Oktoberfest. Blended in Dominican Republic Since 2011. The second band reads: 2015 Edition. The cigar measures about 6 x 50.
The wrapper is dark, smooth and substantial. I didn't expect and splits or unraveling from this one. The cigar is firm and unyielding to a light squeeze. A whiff of the foot yielded a light tobacco aroma.
I clipped the cap with a guillotine and lit it with a match. It took fire readily and started with an even burn. There was an initial bitterness which faded into the background rather quickly. But it lingered for the entire cigar. I also picked up some faint essence of cocoa. I occasionally got an intense flavor of something salty like meat tenderizer.
This isn't the sort of cigar I go looking for, but it wasn't bad. I don't drink alcoholic beverages anymore, but I can see where this cigar might pair nicely with some kind of dark beer rather that the Dr. Pepper 10 I was drinking.
The burn was good the whole way. The ash was gray and white and the cone was a bit shallow and even occasionally flat. I'm guessing there's some Nicaraguan tobacco involved.
The cigar was well constructed and stayed firm the whole way. The draw was good and I got lots of chewy smoke.
I'm giving this one a 3 out of 5. If I liked the flavor more I would easily go a point higher.

Epilogue: JR's says that this is a Dominican Puro. They show the size as a Kaiser Ludwig measuring 6 x 49. With 35 reviews there, it's rated at 4.5. I'm not really surprised. It's a high quality cigar. My lower rating is based on personal taste preference.

Last edited by xrundog; 05-09-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Forgot the photo!
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:58 AM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Nice review!!

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

I have half a box of those left... I dig the cigar. And since I'm more of a medium guy I rate it higher...
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

That cigar really needs a good Oktoberfest beer along side it. Really made the flavors pop for me.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
bsslack
Herf Meister

Great review! Tim, you are getting good at this.

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsslack View Post
Great review! Tim, you are getting good at this.

Cheers!
Thanks Brian! Where are your reviews? You know Jason has too many cigars and is just looking for a good reason to send you some.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
bsslack
Herf Meister

Well, I know should be post more. To that end, I have finally given in and bought a "Smart Phone". So, I'm now able to download photos and such. I must say I really got my money's worth out of that flip phone, it simply would not die. (Who carries the same phone for 10 years?) The thing I finally had to accept, was that the prices on the new tech had gone down drastically. Even, I had to admit that I was actually paying more to use the old outdated tech. Yes, Gentlemen I heard the collective head slap and "Duh, No Shirk Shittelock.:

But, the up shot is that I'll be reviewing more and peppering them with them there new fangled photo-graphy thingies.

Still, it's great to see you jumping in with both feet! Keep them coming, My Friend!

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
tfkirk1
Club Member

I'm really getting into our brothers reviews I'm still trying to figure out how to post more than 1 photo at a time. Technology has past me by at this age. But trying. Great review.
tfkirk1 is offline   Reply With Quote