Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Anodyne
Club Member

Scott Miller and the Commonwealth

I've liked this guy since I got a preview EP of his first studio album back in 2001. Real down-to-earth type. Good rockin' music. Nothing complicated, just honest. Some folks might remember him as the house band for "Blue Collar TV" with Jeff Foxworthy and company. Although Scott Miller isn't country music per se.

Anyhow, he's on MySpace and posted a recent bulletin of his plans going forward. Aside from it being nice that he writes his own blogs/updates, I found them humorous so I wanted to share. #6 is pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Miller
Plan for the Future OR Sorry about Goose, We All Liked Him

(A quick list of lessons learned and early resolutions.)

1) Blog more.

2) Don't use anything stronger than water as a chaser (got that one from Woody Guthrie)

3) Put out a quality product.

4) I'm dying for some time to write new songs. (got that one now!!!!!)

5) Don't drop obnoxious movie lines like "Sorry about Goose, we all liked him." ("Top Gun") to large Texans until you are sure they are not IN the movie and certainly not the one to DELIVER the line in said bad movie.

6) Don't tell another song writer to "stand up and sing like a man" until you are sure he can ACTUALLY STAND

7) Anyone can run on the Tennessee Volunteer defense this year.

8 ) If you are going to criss-cross the United States three times in two days, learn some stretches, its hell on your back.

9) People want to stand up and move around at New Year's Eve shows, don't play theatres. (got this one too!!!!!! Check out The Valarium, this year's NYE site.)

10) Make sure the next record sounds NOTHING like any I have ever done.

11) Don't tell Portland, OR crowds on a rainy day / out door concert that "It looks like L.L. Bean is makin' a TON of money off you rich folks today!!" ( Portland, Oregon is home to "Columbia" brand outer wear, who knew?)

12) "Mess of this Town" makes a good opening number

13) To support U.T. men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl, I will eat kosher on game days.

14) Never leave a list at just "13"