Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
b0rderman
Club Member

Generally when I go to the local Belgian beer bar I will get 4 beers: 1 St. Bernardus ABT 12, 1 Maredsous 8, 1 Koningshoeven Quad, 1 Belgian Style Domestic of some kind and that will pretty do me unless we are trying to get completely smashed. If I am with some people who haven't been to this bar, or haven't had any Belgian beers before, I will usually get a Kwak as well because they always get a kick out of the glass. Anyhow, I skipped my normal routine and treated myself to a couple of their featured bottles for Easter, a Scaldis Prestige and a Dues Brut De Flandres

I originally wrote up quite a lot on each beer but then my browser crashed, so I am only motivated enough to give you the short version which is probably better for you the reader.

The Scaldis Prestige was the winner of this duel. At 13% it was increadibly balanced and smooth, with a unique, slightly sweet flavor. I enjoy Scaldis 12 by the 4-pack at home often, but this was quite different and now I don't know how I recieve the more common 12 now, maybe this was a bad decision . If this was more reasonably priced I could see trying to source as many bottles as I could find, but unfortunately neither were what I would call "reasonably priced."

Scaldis - Prestige

The Dues was an enjoyable beer, no doubt, but it could not compete with the Scaldis in terms of complexity and overall flavor. The Dues was more of a crisp, almost champagne-like like beer that was well executed yet lacking that special uniquness I was hoping for when splurging for some of these more pricey selections.

Dues - Brut de Flandres

Excuse the Becks, that was my buddies

Kind of a sloppy review, likely the result of a sloppy reviewer

Cheers,

Stefan

Last edited by b0rderman; 04-13-2009 at 10:55 AM.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote