Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2002, 07:36 PM   #1
Mayhem
Club Member

I received 2 Mantequilla Torpedoes from Herfin Bigdog from the JR board. This cigar came about from a request made on the JR board that Triki Bermejo happened to read, then follow through on. Those on this board who are aware that I am a huge fan of Mantequillas may be surprised to know that I did not take an active role in the request. To me, a torpedo is just a shape that comes at the expense of......greater expense. I tend to order toros and double coronas and save a couple to a few bucks on the box price.

The torp in question was a 6 x 54 as near as I can tell. Due to the timeline, it qualifies as a fresh-roll. The wrapper was maduro and construction was superior. The squeeze test was firm with some give, but the taper was noticeably firmer than the rest of the cigar. This showed itself in the pre-light and post-light draw. Draw was about 2 notches firmer than I would like, but was not too unpleasant. Taste was young Mantequilla. Enjoyable smoke but the need for age was evident. No hint of running or tunneling. I set the cigar down a couple different times and waited for several minutes. Never went out. (Side note: I had a Mantequilla XX lit at DSturg's house yesterday at his poker herf. I set the cigar down and was talking to Dale in the other room for at least 10 minutes. When I got back to the cigar, I had no expectation that it would still be lit. You guessed it, it was. I was truly amazed.)

The Torpedoes should be arriving at JR any time now. I checked the site and they are not listed yet so, I cannot give a price yet. I am also unsure if they will be available in Natural, but I hope they are. I am unclear as to whether I will order any. I am quite content with the Double Corona in Natural. I have nothing at all against torps, but they hold no special fascination for me either. Price and wrapper will be the determining factors. But for those that are interested in this vitola, I recommend them. Just be prepared to age them for a few months.

I put the "sewer" back into connoisseur