Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2003, 10:10 AM   #1
fivetrees
Starting Member

Seeking Recommended Source for Jamaican Blue Mountain

It's shocking, considering that I've been a regular and fairly discerning (meaning I've tried a lot of types, make fine distinctions, and have distinct preferences -- not necessarily that I have any taste or judgement) but oddly, I've never really tried the legendary Jamaican Blue mountain coffee.

Now to be fair, I've a cup, now and then, that purported to be The Good Stuff, but I have serious doubts. They were a fair bit different from one another, and though it could be different grinding and brewing, I tend to think it's more likely that some of it wasn't pure JBM (or JBM at all) and someone, somewhere along the line, got ripped off.

JBM isn't the only type of coffee where I've noted this. I've tasted a huge variance in supposed Kona, and a certain Brazillian bean I used to get online with a special tropical nuttiness [My usual supplier went under, and after a couple of years of hunting for a replacement (going months between expeditions, my memory fading all the while) I finally had to give up. It was blended with arabica by a now-defunct politically correct "fair price" company, so that recipe may be effectively lost.

What I'm looking for is "the classic cuppa JBM" - not necessarily the finest, but one that is distinctively characteristic of the class - knowing what a food is "trying to say" can change one's entire perception of it: e.g. I grew up loving most cheeses, except what passed for Swiss in the US in the in the early 70s. Then, one day, while living in Switzerland I tasted a Swiss that 'talked to me' and I've enjoyed most 'Swiss' ever since, even the American pasteurized packaged stuff . It's like learning a new language. Before my epiphany it was babble. Now it speaks, even if it's with a thick brooklyn accent, and I "get it".

I figured that a cigar fancier forum like this would not only have some people who know a good JBM, but would understand all the pitfalls of trendiness, prestige, price (vs. quality), and other misleading factors that must plague the JBM arena, exactly as it does with cigars.

Where do can I get "real" (authentic and classic) JBM? Online preferred

If you don’t, fill a sock
with pennies and find someone
who does.
fivetrees is offline   Reply With Quote