Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
bigmike787
Club Member

"Wine" tasting

I put wine in quotes, because I'm still not sure how I feel about this place. So I purchased a couple of seats at a tasting here in town. This place is called Water 2 Wine and I would describe it as a high tech winery. They receive the grape mash (not sure what it's called at this stage) in these big silver bags. Then they have all these carboys with different wine fermenting. Now this is where it gets weird. To oak the wine, they add wood shaving to the fermenting mash. After the wine has fermented for however many days is required, it's strained/bottled/labeled. We sampled a few of these wines and they weren't too bad, but I just felt kind of cheated. They stressed that their wines are pure, free of preservatives, blah blah blah. They even sell these magnets that are supposed to age your wine in 30 minutes. It was all just kind of weird really. I received a bottle with my two tickets and bought one additional bottle. I still haven't cracked them open, but they did state that their wine was not for long term aging.

Have any of you guys ever experienced anything like this?
bigmike787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

There's a "winery" in Lawton, OK that is pretty much the same. I was working at Ft. Sill with some co-workers who liked going there, and the proprietors had gotten to know them, so when they heard we were coming they rushed a batch of blush...needless to say it was cloudy and tasted mostly like a 7-11 "wine cooler."

Not too impressive.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Bass man
Club Member

Oak cips are a cheaper, faster way to make wine than aging in oak barrels. I prefer the old school barrel aging.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Basically, nothing happening there that anyone couldn't do themselves in their own home / garage, provided they paid sufficient attention to sterilization of the vessels and maintaining a proper cleanliness protocol during the fermentation and bottling processes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike787 View Post
...they did state that their wine was not for long term aging.
I can certainly believe that!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
gui_tarzan
Herf God

There's one of those types of stores in Lansing. I've stopped in there a couple of times but it just doesn't seem like the right way to make quality wine.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
beevod
Herf God

When it comes to wine, there is more nonsense and pretention than even cigars.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevod View Post
When it comes to wine, there is more nonsense and pretention than even cigars.
You've got that right!

Let's face it. Anyone with sufficient resources can plunk down a sizeable amount of change and attempt to impress his or her companions with a bottle of famous wine. And the wine will likely live up to its renown, if not necessarily its asking price.

But for the rest of us, it's those true gems at the lower end of the price scale that end up winning the race for our pocketbooks and our taste buds.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
bigmike787
Club Member

I agree completely! I always search the "best value" reviews. I honestly don't like spending more than $25 for a bottle of wine at the store. Now in a restaurant that figure doubles. My sweet spot is the $15-$20 mark. Yes, I'm a cheap bastid! LOL
bigmike787 is offline   Reply With Quote