Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit View Post
How 'bout this? https://www.4noggins.com/capstanmediumnavycut50g-1.aspx
I have two of these in my cellar. Mine are younger, but nearly ten years old.
Holy blue baloney, batman!

Isn't that about fifteen times the normal price of a tin of mcclelland's stuff?
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #12
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post
Holy blue baloney, batman!

Isn't that about fifteen times the normal price of a tin of mcclelland's stuff?
McClelland recently closed up shop and that tin is from 1990. Not saying it's worth it, but tobacco is highly collectible.
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #13
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Let me see what I can do Brian, I have plenty to share. It will be a while, a lot going on with my health and my dad and I remain without a job.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:38 AM   #14
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Jeff, you really do have a lot on your plate, don't worry about me.

I signed up a new account at Jr, something happened about three years ago and it got wiped. I've had to work as a guest since then.

To get to the point, just last night I set some auction winnings to ship. Ten Alec Bradley sanctum, I hope that they are as good as they were the first time I tried them. I got them for about $3, and some American sun grown for $2.30. Still crazy compared to past finds, but livable.

I'm watching for upmann legacy for $3 or less and a couple others.

It's been a good few days recently, had an old Mr B wed, an old hoyo dark Sumatra, and last night an old upmann. That hoyo was great.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:39 AM   #15
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Thompson's auction site seems to have good deals Brian, but I have bought nothing from anyone recently

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #16
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

i'll have to look, I have begun to have some questions about the jr site, as if there may be some sort of scam going on. as if there is something that i don't know and should know. you know, secret processes and rules?
Old 04-24-2018, 06:21 AM   #17
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Well auction sites seem to be open to manipulation and stupidity.... you could win your own bid so you don't sell it (if that makes sense) and there are those who seem to bid for the thrill of bidding and pay above MSRP.... which pretty much defeats the purpose of an auction

Old 04-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #18
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Auction sites can save you money. But you can't get caught up in a bidding war. You need to determine what you're willing to spend before you start bidding. Otherwise you end up spending far too much.

Sometimes people are willing to spend list price or even a little more because the item will ship for free as part of a larger order. Bidding against someone like that is a lose-lose proposition.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #19
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

JR has a new 'free fall' thing, twenty items are put up at a time for each auction. You can bid up to five days in advance. Then, on the day of the actual auction, there is a count down auction. Low bids lose, anyone who bid above the previously placed bids gets the prize. I guess that I have put thirty bids out, and won maybe six or so. I put in pre-bids at seriously rock bottom prices, and just let it sort itself out. No auction playing for me. I got three ten packs of alec bradley; sanctum, american classic, and american sun grown for about $2.50 per cigar, which seems to be as low as they could go, just by pre-bidding at the bottom. I also got a ten pack of nat sherman host rothschilds at $1.50 and a five of belinda churchills for about that price.

I liked the sanctum that I got a couple years ago, and this seems to be the identical product, as opposed to a 'special selection' type reserved for auction sales. I got the nat from jeff a year or so ago, had a few others before that, and they were what I was looking for, but $9 in the box on the site?

Auctions are a load of crap. These things aren't run like a real auction, they have all sorts of complicated ways of fixing things, I don't believe that they are all genuine 'auctions'.

Someone who goes into them intending to win is going to get in trouble. I saw things that I wanted and took a shot, and my pile of losses is phenomenal. Right now I have a $12 bid on a ten pack, and a $60 bid on a box of fuente candela lonsdales. Maybe I'll get the fuentes, there can't be many people willing to fight for a box of green fuentes. I maybe should have put it at $50.

There will always be another chance.

I'd still like to find upmann legacy. The five pack that I had was phenomenal. I'll do maybe $3 for a ten pack, maybe. They have a lot of upmann packs on there, tons of monte brands, AB all across the board, but the selection is VERY limited. It's obviously got some sort of method to it.