Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona (9/04)

Hoyo de Monterrey
Double Corona
7 5/8 x 49 Prominente (9/2004)

Appearance: A downy soft colorado claro wrapper. The color was even throughout, punctuated by one or two veins. There was a curious dent in the middle of the cigar, which I imagine came from the knot in the cabinet ribbon this cigar was packaged in. Perfectly rounded with an equally perfect cap fitted on top.

Prelight: Cut nicely. The prelight draw seemed adequate. The prelight draw gave clues towards cedar and cream, which would prove prophetic.

Flavor: The initial tastes were of cocoa, tea, and various wood, with the cedar element being quite slight. Very light with no spice on the tongue. As I smoked it, the mild cedar and wood flavor coated my palate to create a pleasant, mouth-filling sensation. The cognac brought out a deeper and much more complex wood element and heightened what small amount of spice was there. The mouthfeel of this smoke was incredibly creamy and smooth. At one-third in, the cedar flavor deepened considerably and I began to notice an ephemeral black pepper character in the back of my throat that persisted for a while but slowly vanished. At this point, the cognac gave up hints of sugar and whiffs of sandalwood. Halfway in, I noticed many new flavors entering the fray. Along with the persistant cedar and cream, I detected the flavor of warm green tea with milk and dashed with powdered herbs. Nuances of cinnamon, acorns, dried nuts, and a slight hint of leather. Two-thirds down, the herbal and cedar flavor took a new direction. Cognac brought out light chocolate notes and toasted tobacco. The cedar acquired a distinctly toastier edge to it. Smoked down to a nub with never a drop of heat or harshness. This cigar was mild in strength and mild to medium-bodied.

Construction: The draw was great. The burn was a little spotty at times, requiring a few touch-ups, but eventually behaved. The ash held nicely and was medium gray in color.

Misc: Accompanied with Courvoisier VS and San Pellegrino mineral water.

Summary: Hard to believe this is only the second Hoyo de Monterrey I've ever had! I recently acquired this in a trade with BOTL Jack (OFT) and promised him I'd give this and the other cigars the review treatment. As noted above, cedar and creaminess was the core of this cigar and continued to evolve and change throughout the cigar. It's hard to describe, but this complex changing in the nature of the underlying and persistant central flavor made this a very memorable and incredibly satisfying cigar. It's apparent that I really need to explore this brand more than I have in the past.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote