Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2016, 05:20 AM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

IPCPR 2016 Review: Padilla Vintage Reserve

Nuts & Bolts:
Vitola: Torpedo
Length: 6.5″
Ring Gauge: 52
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Pennsylvania Broadleaf
Binder: Ecuadorian Habano
Filler: Cuban-Seed Nicaragua Corojo and Criollo
Factory: Tabacalera Oliva
Blender: Ernesto Padilla

This cigar is not a new release, but I had never had it until given one at the show so it was new for me! It may have the look of a new release for many though as it has been re-packaged from the previous year. A very classy look with each cigar designated with it's own "register number" on the band.
This is a gorgeous cigar with a dark oily wrapper with a nice bit of tooth. If this sample smoked as good as it looked, I knew I was in for a treat.
Clipping the cap, I take a cold draw and get a sweet rich taste mingled with a sensation of damp hay.
Lighting the foot delivers a rush of pepper at first draw with a nice core of Cuban coffee flavor, a combination of sweetness & espresso. The initial strength is on the high side of medium/full with a great deal of body and flavor. I can tell from the start that this cigar fits well into my preference wheelhouse......
As I continue the journey I find the flavor dancing around a bit in a good way. The pepper subsides a little as the espresso becomes more pronounced, then as I take another draw I find the molasses to be a bit more prominent , very interesting indeed.
The ash is pretty firm, a mottled grey with just the slightest bit of flakiness. The draw on this cigar is modeled after the Baby Bear from Goldilocks bed time story.......it's just right.
Continuing, this cigar produces an abundance of aromatic smoke and the pepper gives my nose a nice tingle. Over halfway thru, the cigar shifts just a bit once again as the spice & pepper take control while the espresso remains firmly in the background. The burn has remained true with no touch-ups needed.
As I near the end of this cigar I realize this is one of those smokes you just hate to see come to an end. A true pleasure the entire time, one I would classify as a solid medium-full strength smoke, one that is rich and full of flavor leaving an overall impression of Cuban coffee laced with pepper and spice. I would definitely enjoy smoking this again, and I HOPE I ordered some at the show!!!! If not, I will be SOON!