Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
jmckeown88

Building a Guitar - Help me decide a finish

So I've been dreaming of building my own "super strat" for awhile and finally decided to take the plunge. I've owned a suhr and a tyler in the past, so they both greatly influenced my specs, etc.

So after lots of research and looking about, here's what I ended up with...

USACG Body - Med-lightweight Alder, top routed for HSH

USACG Neck - QS Roasted maple, IRW fretboard, 22 frets, 1.650 nut, .870 "C" contour, 10-16" compound radius, 6100 frets.

I've got hipshot locking staggered tuners, hipshot contour trem, and plan on going with two Suhr ML Standards and an SSV+ in the bridge, 1v, 1t, 5 way, and a series/parallel switch for the humbucker.

I finished the neck in gunstock oil, so now all that's left is to finish the body and assemble. I started with deft sanding sealer, 3 coats then sand with 220, did that 3 times, then I started primer. Initially I was going to do a "dip/swirl" finish...

Here was the idea:

I then did a "test dip" on a piece of wood, it came out pretty sweet - the little light blue/white patches are where there was some wax/oil residue on the wood - I didn't do a good job of prepping it.

Any way, in the middle of all of this I was looking at car stuff and stumbled across this:

and I thought, hey - it'd be cool if my artistically gifted wife could do something like that on my guitar... so she made this in like an hour with sharpies...

So I decided to do that instead and the priming/block sanding continued.

Fast forward to today. I'm block sanding away, alternating between gray and white to see low/high spots, etc, and this come out:

I think it's pretty cool in a "tyler bacon," "rat-rod" sort of way...

This is in no way intended to be a "relic" so you don't need to tell me the wear is in the wrong spots or doesn't looked "real" (I already know that) ALSO I know I'm not the first to think of sharpie guitar - its been done before too.

What do you all think? Would it be cool to do my wife's design over the current look? Would you go solid color behind? If I go solid color, I'm torn between white and gray (and if gray how dark of gray)....

Any thoughts?
jmckeown88 is offline   Reply With Quote