Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Which Islay malts age in sherry?

Other than the ones that obviously declare it on the bottle (like the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition Pedro Ximenez Finish or Bowmore Darkest), which whiskies coming out of Islay are known, or at least thought, to age some of their malt in sherry butts?

Laphroig and Caol Ila's normal offerings (10 and 12 respectively) would seem to my palate and eye not to use it at all. Lagavulin 16 seems to me like a least part of the recipe uses some malt aged in sherry butts, owing to its nice dark color and what my palate interprets to be the sweetness of sherry.

As far as Islay malts and my admittedly rather limited experience with them, so far Lagavulin 16 has been the only that's really excited me (thanks to flipflop, who provided me with my first dram of it along with some very nice Cohibas at his house in Atlanta a few months ago). I really think it was what I detected as a sherry element that did it for me...the sweetness seemed to marry so well with the smoke and peat for a great balance.

Just curious if there are some other ones out there with a sherry influence I should be imbibing.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote