Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Faux Dunhill Project

I really should have known better.

I bought this humidor on Ebay (of course). It looked a little funky to me. Dunhill humidors are usually pretty restrained in their decoration and I.D. tags. But the humidor is early and I thought that maybe in the early 20th century they had done things differently. The box is definitely about 1910.
Today I received the humidor. What I think happened is that in the 70s-80s someone had some Dunhill badges from that time (70s) and thought they would upgrade their old humidor. So they badged it and put some new brass handlesand corner guards on it, and then used some steel wool to take off some of that old alligator finish.
The ebay pics weren't quite good enough for me to see all the nuance, but the signs were there and I was aware. It was just plausible enough to be interesting. I paid a bit more than usual, but not enough for me to cry foul.
As it is I think I'll fix it up and sell it as a curiosity. Unless I'm wrong and it's genuine.
But I don't think so.
If one of you think I'm wrong please chime in and tell me why. I'd love to read it.

The Dunhill badge sucked me in.

Newer Dunhill badges on a 1910 humidor. The handles look newer too.

The brass isn't tarnished right for it to be old. When did Dunhill have a logo with the funky N?

Last edited by xrundog; 10-30-2017 at 01:34 PM.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote