Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
jb
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Two reviews: Cain Maduro 654T vs. Oliva Serie V Beli

Yesterday I stopped into my semi-local, a place that usually has a couple boxes of AF Hemis, a couple boxes of Oliva V if I'm lucky, and 400 boxes of total crap. I was surprised when I saw three partial boxes of Cain Maduros. I had read on here about the debut of these, and had been trying to pick up a fiver on the devil site but they had all been going for about $35 and I refused to pay that. I picked up a Cain 654T and also grabbed an Oliva V Belicoso.

That afternoon, I fired up the 654T. It really was an ugly cigar. I'm not a believer of the maduros are stronger nonsense, and usually I smoke natural wrappers. This was truly an ugly cigar. It had a dark, thick, rough, veiny maduro wrapper and it reminded me a big ring guage Ramrod. It lit easily and the draw was just fine. The box advertised this as "straight ligero" and it definitely was strong. The problem was it had all the flavor of a charcoal briquette. I nub almost every cigar I smoke since I'm a cheap bastid, but I pitched this one with about two inches left. It was strong. Strong and nasty like a transvestite hooker.

Late that night driving home from refereeing basketball I fired up the Oliva Serie V Belicoso. I have been a fan of the Serie V for a while, usually sticking with the lancero. Lately though I've gotten away from them, trying new things and smoking more DPG products. I was anticipating this cigar, much like a conversation with an old friend. It had a smooth, vein free natural wrapper. The cut, draw, and lighting were all smooth and uneventful. Just like all of these I've smoked, it was strong from the first puff. Unlike the 654T (T for turd I guess) it actually had flavor! It was an amazing change after the charcoal rocket. I truly enjoyed all 55 minutes of the experience. It reminded me that a cigar can have strength AND flavor. Just like an old friend, this cigar said "Hey we need to spend more time together". I plan on putting these back in the rotation. As for the Cain maduro, well, the next time I think about smoking one of these I will probably just take a pack of my wife's Marlboro reds, cut the filters off all of them, tape them together and fire it up. Actually, I think Marlboros even smell better.

Cliffnotes: strength + flavor > flavor alone > strength alone. Oliva Serie V > Cain Maduro.
ISO Opus DCs, RdC, Perf X, #2, and Super Beli. PM if you can help! TIA.
jb is offline   Reply With Quote