Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

JR's Nicaraguan Overruns

I went through a bundle of these in the Churchill size with the Habano wrapper last Winter. They were dark, strong and heavily box pressed. I liked them okay for a cheap smoke.
I decided to buy a bundle each of the claro wrapper Churchills and Robustos for next Winter. My buddy laughed at me thinking the claro is the green wrapper. I thought it was light brown but just shrugged it off. How bad could they be?
Well they arrived today and are sort of medium brown. The cigars are cylindrical which I am happy about. I was fine with the box press, but it's not my preference. The wrappers are blotchy and toothy and substantial. And that's okay because I don't want a fragile wrapper in the cold. They are rolled nice and tight but have a good draw.
I pulled a Churchill while I was unwrapping all the cigars and putting them in what I now call my Winter humidor.
It was an okay smoke. The burn was straight. The flavor was pretty good. It was a little bitter and a little sweet. Like Chinese sweet and sour.
For less that $2 a cigar these are good. Maybe after sitting until it's cold again they will be a little better. But if not, it's okay.
I'm probably going to lay up another bundle of Honduran bench made Corojos and declare myself stocked up for next Winter.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

bitter can be a sign of a damp cigar.... JR used to sell some wet Nics back in the day....

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:57 AM   #3
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
bitter can be a sign of a damp cigar.... JR used to sell some wet Nics back in the day....
Yeah, wet cigars travel better. And I smoked it fresh from the bundle. So I expect that several months in the box will probably do these some good.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Gave one of the robustos to my buddy and smoked one myself. The wrapper looked a lot different than the Churchills. We debated what it might be. We decided that the generic EMS is a good description. It may be something completely different that the Churchills. Who can tell? We both agreed though, that it was a pretty good cigar. Nice flavor, straight burn, the wrapper held up. These are good! Even better than the Churchills.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
tonycsmoke
Club Member

These are all from the My Father Factory. When they originally came out they had 50 or 60 cigars. All in a bundle of 20 for $30. I still have a couple of bundles of the My Father Lancero that cost a little over a buck a pop. I made the decision to start a third cooler when I figured out what it was.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Thanks for the info Tony! I am not surprised. I smoked a Churchill yesterday. It was okay. The robustos are better.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:20 AM   #7
Loyoyo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
These are all from the My Father Factory.

JR sells Nicaraguan Overruns and Nicaraguan Factory Overruns. I think the Nicaraguan Factory Overruns are made by My Father. I don't know who makes the NOs.

The NOs have been hit-or-miss for me. I've smoked a lot of the NFOs and all have been decent to very good. Unfortunately JR recently raised the price of the NFOs by 50%.
Loyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:54 AM   #8
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I somehow missed that there are two types of Nic. Overruns. And that's weird because I've bought both. The boxed pressed version I had last year with the Habano wrapper were just Overruns. The version I bought recently wuth the claro wrapper that I like are Factory Overruns. Prices are the same.
I probably missed it because I bought them from a JR's sale e-mail.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:06 AM   #9
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyoyo View Post
JR sells Nicaraguan Overruns and Nicaraguan Factory Overruns. I think the Nicaraguan Factory Overruns are made by My Father. I don't know who makes the NOs.

The NOs have been hit-or-miss for me. I've smoked a lot of the NFOs and all have been decent to very good. Unfortunately JR recently raised the price of the NFOs by 50%.
You are correct sir. The Factory Overruns are My Father. The JR code is MFO (my father overruns). The Overruns are who knows what. I've bought a few bundles of the overruns and they were all good. The only problem is that don't necessarily get what you want. They put on the page size could change. I ordered 5x42 (because I like small ring gauges) and got 4x60. I was pissed, but they ended up being really good. It's kinda a grab bag.