Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
kevie49

UK Supermarket Cigars: Review 3 - Hamlet Cigar

This is probably the most well known cigar in the UK. As a result it is available in every supermarket and shop that sells tobacco.

They only offer two sizes: the Hamlet Cigar (a panatella size) with a ring gauge of 26 and a length of 4.25 inch, and a cigarillo size, marketed as Hamlet Minis.

The cigar burns quickly, my entire smoking experience lasted about 17 minutes. I remember these at the age of 18 and they were the only cigars that I tried and saw my friends smoke. They are mellow tasting: creamy smoke and a taste of mild, woody tobacco.

The main problem with these is that they are one-dimensional. They do not change for the duration of the smoke. This is fine if you want a mild smoke, but personally I prefer a bit more of a complex cigar. Although at £1 a stick that is possibly a bit of an unfair criticism.

I'm toying with the idea of unwrapping these and storing them in the humidor over a period of time (6-12 months) to see if it adds anything to the flavours during the smoke. A bit of extra cedar notes certainly would not go amiss here and with the creamy, mild taste might make this smoke a more enjoyable, and interesting, experience.

Overall this was a nice quick smoke that would appeal to cigarette smokers. For those who enjoy a robusto etc then I would recommend looking elsewhere. Not a bad cigar, just a very mild and sadly rather bland smoke.

Last edited by kevie49; 11-01-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote