Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2004, 04:06 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Oliva Master Blends Robusto

"Tobacco And Cedar"

Oliva Master Blends Robusto from Nicaragua
Size: 5 inches by 50 ring gauge

This Robusto marked the last of the three vitolas in the Oliva Master Blends series I set flame to recently. As I’ve mentioned previously, these very fine cigars came my way as but part of an exceptional package sent by Eugene (crossbow).

The Robusto, the smallest of the trio, was basically a 2 inch shorter version of the Churchill, and appeared to be almost identical to its longer stablemate in terms of both hue and box-press. However, its tripa was noticeably darker, more along the lines of the filler leaves used in the Torpedo.

Upon setting flame to foot, my nostrils were instantly greeted with an aroma of pungent steak spice-encrusted tobacco leaf as well as a plethora of cedar box scents and a hint of crème brulée.

There was absolutely no hesitation flavour-wise either, as the cigar’s opening salvo rapidly deposited rich, mouth-filling sensations. Peppery forest undergrowth, heavily toasted tobacco and expresso seemed to predominate on the palate at this early stage.

Soon, the Oliva settled into a smoother and more relaxed yet fairly full-bodied tempo. And as the pale grey ash lengthened, clean and crisp high-toned cedar-infused herbs and spices began to hover above the central flavour elements, while a bare hint of custardy sweetness lingered beneath.

This Robusto seemed much more focused around the tobacco aspect then either the Churchill or Torpedo. I found it to be an eminently satisfying and quite full-throttled cigar, if slightly more linear in its delivery of tastes than the other two vitolas in the series. But sometimes, that is exactly what is called for.

Incidentally, I chose to partner the Oliva with a pour of Graham’s 1980 Vintage Port, a sublimely silky drink at its apogee of maturity. Wine and cigar combined in exemplary fashion, with the Port simultaneously rounding the Robusto’s robustness and enriching its lush tobacco nature.

Happy smoking everyone!