Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2003, 11:54 AM   #1
sickstan
Starting Member

Binny's Cognac/Calvados/Armagnac seminar.

Joe Congiusti of Binnys Ivanhoe Castle here in Chicago hosted a information/tasting of 5 cognacs, 4 calvados, and 4 armagnacs. Great info and tasting experience for $25. To buy all that booze would cost well into the $600 range.

Some standouts:
1. Chateau Montifaud Special Reserve Petite Champagne Cognac - not bad, a bit less concentrated than the XO but similar lightness, banana, fig, pear flavors.

2. Camus XO - somewhat of a disappointment. Heavy, with some vanilla, honey, and oak but lacking personality, and at $120, not cheap.

3. Pierre de Sagonzac (the original Pierre Ferrand, not the company Pierre Ferrand) Seleccion des Anges -- smooth, with fig and date flavors, but there are cheaper cognacs that share characteristics (e.g. PF Reserve).

4. Tiffon XO - a surprise at $30. I'll need to buy a bottle of this. Fruity, rich, with plenty of vanilla and date. Smooth.

5. Berdolive Armagnac - I guess this was the supposed crowning taste of the evening. Only 12 bottles were available in the Chicago area (call Joe at the Binny's Ivanhoe 773-935-9400 if you NEED a bottle). I thought it was a sweet Bowmore Islay. Strong earthy taste of iodine, peat, and sandlewood. If nothing else, full of character.

The Calvados I wasn't that nuts about. One really old Calvados had mellowed enough to be enjoyable, but as I've never had apple brandy, it was a bit too perfumey for me.

Next, there will be the tequila/mezcal seminar -- should be fascinating.