Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
GTS21

Montecristo B

This is a fairly rare cigar in the Monte line. Everyone is familiar with the Monte A, and the Monte C and D were released recently as Edicion Limitadas.

Introduced in 1971, very rarely produced after the mid-80s and now officially discontinued, these cigars are packaged in varnished humidors of 50. See MRN, pg. 267.

The cigar being reviewed is a 1997.

The setting: A beautiful late Spring day on the deck, with a light breeze.

The cigar: Montecristo B (1997)

Paired with: Flavored water

Once again, I haven’t seen many reviews of this cigar over the years. This is not overly surprising given that these cigars, according to MRN, are produced in extremely limited numbers. See MRN, pg. 267.

MRN states that the Monte B “has a milder blend, but decidedly more aromatic than the other models.” See MRN, pg. 267. I wholeheartedly agree with MRN’s assessment of this cigar.

This specimen sported a medium brown wrapper, uneven cap, VERY toothy wrapper with a fair amount of veins. The cigar felt uniform in construction, no hard or soft spots to speak of.

I clipped the oddly-shaped top and encountered a firm but pleasing draw.

This cigar was surprisingly mild for a Monte, starting off almost like a strong Quai D’orsay, with notes of toasted nuts and sweet tea. Strength increased steadily throughout, eventually becoming decidedly more Monte-esque. Not an overly complex cigar, but very satisfying with creamy nut flavors and an underlying floral sweetness. A mild to medium spice developed during the smoke, remaining until the end. A VERY long finish with toasted pumpkin seed flavors lingering on the palette.

The ash was quite dark, densely speckled with little white dots, and quite flaky.

I smoked this cigar down to about three-quarters of an inch. It never became harsh, remaining well mannered until the end.

An excellent cigar, I look forward to the next one.