Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
EZthefix
Starting Member

Rocky Patel R4 Torpedo

Rocky Patel R4 Torpedo
Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

As a big fan of Rocky Patel, I was really looking forward to sampling it’s R4 Corojo creation. Now, I normally tend to associate Patel sticks with robust, dark and full cigars that are generally on the stronger side. The Rocky Patel R4 Torpedo is in a completely different philosophy altogether.

Perhaps geared toward the mild cigar smokers among us, the R4 is almost nothing like its other, better known, Patel cousins. I always hesitate when I review a very light-bodied cigar; I’m afraid my bias for full-bodied sticks will cloud an objective review. So… let’s just acknowledge, from the beginning, that we’re talking about a cigar for the mild leaf lovers.

The R4 Corojo wrapper mildly exudes aromas reminiscent of baked French bread, cedar, and bitter nutmeg. The pre-light draw is grassy. Light herbs and maybe even some red tea (think: Darjeeling) can be tasted as well.

Once lit, the smoke is thick, as you would expect from a Rocky. The baked bread notes really dominate this stick through out; with one or two notes surfacing here and there as it progresses.

The cigar does get spicy into the second third, and a black pepper note is clearly present. I found this stage particularly interesting.

Around the half way mark, the smoke gets toasty. The pepper notes fade here and the flavor profile pretty much assumes its final posture. From here on end, I found the smoke doesn’t evolve anymore, except for some mild cedar coming in at the last second before the finish.

I generally would recommend a cigar like this to a beginner. However, we’re talking about a whopping torpedo here. It might be alright as long as it is put down before matters begin to get unpleasant.
EZthefix is offline   Reply With Quote