Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
kevie49

UK Supermarket Cigars: Review 2 - Henri Wintermans Half Corona

For my second review of my over the counter cigars from UK supermarkets I chose one that is widely available in both supermarkets and newsagents up and down the country: Henri Wintermans Half Corona.

This cigar comes in around 4 inches in length and has a ring gauge of 34. In appearance it is a light, very generic looking wrapper and each cigar comes nicely presented in a red Henri Wintermans papery plastic cover.

These cost me £10.30 for a pack of 5 from a local newsagent, they are around the same price in the supermarkets.

Not a lot in the pre light fragrance. Upon lighting the initial draw was very light and reminded me of a hamlet. Slight sweetness, a bit of a light leathery taste. As the first third continued these tastes got stronger and the sweetness levels reduced. By the end of the first third the sweetness was gone and the taste was slightly bitter. The burn was good and even for the first third.

No surprises in the second third: the taste of leathery tobacco continue. The burn remains even and for the size of the cigar the ash hold together well. One thing that I noticed was that there is not a lot of smoke output from this small cigar.

Into the final third and this cigar has quite a strong leathery taste, the bitter notes are a bit more prevalent. I decided to end this in the final third, I think I could have gotten another 5-10 minutes from it had I persevered, but there wasn't enough taste to make me want to burn my fingers.

Overall this was an OK smoke, the cigar smoking time was exactly 25 minutes for me. It is a bit bland on the flavours, a mild cigar that did get a bit bitter towards the end. I'm not sure if I'd go out and buy more, but I certainly wouldn't refuse one if it was offered to me. An average smoke with limited flavours, but at £2 a stick then I wasn't expecting it to rival a premium cigar.
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote